chapter 37

Jezebel's pov

For the first time in what felt like an eternity, I slept a dreamless sleep. My body had succumbed to the comfort of an actual bed instead of a hard floor, and I was asleep within minutes of hitting the bed. It was quiet, no screams or rattling chains to keep myself alert for. I had made a fort within the bed, pillows stacked at my feet and head as well as blankets making a little wall at my sides to feign protection while I was vulnerable.

We had been taken back to Gabriele's house, and it was newly constructed and redone after the bombs and attack had left it in shambles. I wasn't able to notice the differences or, honestly, care to notice them when all I could think about was retreating to a room and locking myself safely away. There were new men that I hadn't met before, and the hairs on my arms raised at their unknown identities.

Now, my body stretches as far as it can after sleeping for god knows how long.

That morning stretch hits different.

I roll over to check on Gabriele and stare at the empty spot on his bed.

He's gone.

Sitting up, my hands start trembling as different thoughts raced through my brain.

What if he was taken while I was asleep? Is this another cruel joke by Evangeline?

I push myself off the bed and poke my head in the closet and bathroom to see if he was in there. There was no sign of him. I let out a shaky breath and twist my fingers together nervously before I grab the doorknob and twist it open.

A guard steps out from the side, "You're not allowed to leave."

I can't find the will or the nerve to speak to him so I just shake my head a few times. The guard stares at me with an odd look on his face before moving to shut the door.

"No." I yell at him and step out into the hallway, I refuse to be locked up anymore.

The guard scowls at me and grabs my arm. I'm trembling as I smack his hands off of me in attempt to release myself.

"Boss said you are to stay in the room." The guard's words leave him in a growl.

The grip feels like fire on my arm and I need him to let go. My elbow swings down on his wrist and he finally lets go with a grunt of pain. I step past him and scurry down the hallway before flying down the steps, my breathing ragged.

The guards yell as they run after me and it sets off my fight or flight instinct. All I need is to get away from the burly men trying to capture me.

My feet take me to the kitchen and I throw open drawers before finding a large knife. The men enter the room in a hurried manner before stopping as they see me holding a weapon.

"Bel?" A voice questions as the porch door slides open and reveals the man i've been looking for.

I drop the knife and hurry to him before I hide behind his back.

"What's going on?" Gabriele snaps at the guards, letting his hand fall behind him for me to grab onto.

One of the guards steps forward, "You said to keep her in the room."

My hold on his hand tightens and I begged him quietly, "Please don't keep me in there."

Gabriele runs his hand through his hair and waves the guards off, allowing them to leave the kitchen before he turns towards me.

"I wasn't thinking. We figured you'd feel better with guards there to protect you, I didn't mean for it to come off as you were trapped." He apologizes while holding both of my hands, his gaze soft as it roams my face.