44. midnight kiss

It was a foolish decision for Rosé to leave her house that morning to jog at the park

It was a foolish decision for Rosé to leave her house that morning to jog at the park. When she was there, she saw a few couples jogging together reminding her of herself and Jungkook. Then, she switched to the gym running on the treadmill that again reminded her of him. She went to do push-up and saw a couple exercising together intimately.

"Why does every couple in town going out today?!", she whined a she entered her house with a loud thud of closing the door.

"Because it's new year's eve.", her father answered from the living room.

She looked at him and pursed her lips.

"What's wrong with my dear daughter today?", he asked as he watched Rosé walking towards him and plopped down next to him like a sad little kid.

"I miss Jungkook.", she told him as she put her head down on his shoulder.

"Is he not coming back yet?", Hongjun asked as he put his arm around her shoulder, trying to comfort her.

Rosé shook her head, "He said his flight got pushed back. He will only be in Seoul tomorrow morning the latest."

Hongjun smiled, "That's not so bad. I thought he's not coming back like Christmas."

The calm tone of Hongjun made Rosé immediately moved her head and gave a grumpy look at him.

"I want him to be here today.", she told him before she stood up to leave for her bedroom.

"Rosie, wait. Sit down.", he patted the space beside him.

"I want to take a bath. I'm sweating under this jacket.", she said as she fanned her face.

"Just for a few minutes. I want to tell you something.", Hongjun replied.

Rosé took a deep breath and agreed as she sat down again.

"Jungkook, he reminded me of myself, you know?", Hongjun began.

"What do you mean, dad?", Rosé asked.

"He's a hardworking guy. I was like that too when I was younger, dedicated to my job just to give the best for my loved ones. For your future. This situation you're having now reminded me when I thought I couldn't make it for your mom's birthday. My flight home got cancelled but I met a nice fellow at the airport. He gave me his ticket and I made it home before midnight. I still remember how your mom was surprised to see me that night. She thought she has to blow the candle alone. I still can see her big smile when she jumped into my arms that night. I think Jungkook will surprise you like that.", Hongjun said with a warm smile.

He thought that can make Rosé smile a little but the young woman just pouted in response.

"My dear, you still look sad.."

"Well...Jungkook isn't you, daddy. He's not the type to talk to strangers who will give their ticket to him so he can come home early.", she reasoned out.