Chapter 12

Her whole body was shaking. She tried to focus on one emotion to stop herself from going crazy but couldn't and the frustration of that caused her body to shake even more. She jumped slightly feeling arms around her and looked over seeing Lily and hugged her tightly as she cried into her shoulder.

"Stefan is a fighter, okay, he's going to make it."

Bonnie nodded wanting to believe.

"Mrs. Salvatore?" Stefan's doctor calmly spoke.

The women stood, holding one another.

"Stefan's surgery was a success but there is crucial damage to his amygdala."

"What does that mean?" Bonnie asked.

"It means that the emotional significance of his memories are lost. It's possible that he remembers who you are, but what you mean to him can get fuzzy. There is hope to get those emotions back, but it may take some time and coaching"

"But he's alive?"

"He's alive."

Bonnie let out a breath. "That's all that matters."

He nodded. "I can escort you to his room, I just ask that you allow him to rest as much as possible so no loud noises or conversation."

"Of course."

They held hands following behind the doctor and held one another seeing him lying there with his head bandaged and a tube in his mouth. They walked in slowly and sat on opposite ends of his bed, kissing his cheeks.

"I love you," Bonnie held back her tears and caressed his face.

...

Bonnie dried her body off then reached for her lotion. She was glad Stefan had a room with a shower or else she would really be forced to go home and that's the last thing she wanted because she wanted to be there the second he opened his eyes. It's been almost a week since his surgery and two days since he started breathing on his own. She knew that it was only a matter of time before he would wake up and she was excited because that meant that he was truly alive. Even if she doesn't remember her in the slightest, or the love they shared, she doesn't care because he's alive and breathing.

"Fuck," she cursed noticing that she forgot to bring in her clean clothes.

She thought back and remembered that she closed the room door and since Stefan was knocked out she walked out of the bathroom with only her slippers on and headed for her bag. She decided on what she would wear before making her way back to the bathroom.

"Damn."

She gasped and her eyes widened before slowly turning around. Her heart sped seeing his eyes open and hers fills with tears. "Stefan,"

"Is this a new method of getting patients to wake up?"

She chuckled then went to cover herself in a towel. "Sorry,"

"Don't apologize."

She walked up to him. "You're alive."

"I'm sorry, who are you exactly?"

"I'm uh, I'm Bonnie. Your- your fiancée."

"Fiancée? I hit the jackpot."

She chuckled and a tear fell from her eye. She wiped it away, "I uh, I need to tell the nurse you're awake."

"What happened to me?"

She took a breath. "You were shot in the back of the head."

"By who?"