Chapter 14

Stefan smiled, caressing her hair back, looking into her hershey eyes. This is what he was supposed to be feeling with Bonnie but no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't, and being with Elena, he realized that he shouldn't be trying after all. Everything should be natural, not forced, he shouldn't have to be trying and that's exactly how it is with Elena. Effortless. He wonders what his past self was thinking. Bonnie is sweet, but Elena is sweeter.

"What are you thinking about?" She smiled.

"You,"

"Yeah?"

He nodded then met their lips. "How it's so easy to be with you."

"Stefan, I never thought that I would ever be here again. With you, in your arms, looking in your eyes. I thought I lost you forever, but I was given a second chance, we both were. I'm glad we took it."

"Me too. I don't want to be anywhere else." He wiped the lone tear that fell from her right eye with his thumb, then kissed her again, moving on top of her.

...

He kissed her head then got up from his bed, walking into the kitchen barefoot. The wood cooled the bottoms of his feet but adjusted quickly once he reached the window. He never really appreciated his view so he took a minute to do so.

"Why'd you leave me?"

He chuckled hearing her voice then turned around. "Come," he faced forward again as she started walking up to him and held her in his arms once she was in front of him. He kissed the side of her neck then held her. "Watch with me," he swayed them a little. "I might just have one of the best views of the city."

She smiled. "Mines is better,"

"Oh yeah?"

"Definitely."

He chuckled then stood straight feeling her turning in his arms and as he goes to hold her face, he paused realizing that he's not seeing her face but Bonnie's. Her piercing emerald eyes, full lips, black hair, heart face. His eyes narrow.

"What's wrong?"

He snaps out of it by the sound of her voice then shakes his head some. "Sorry, I um, my head– it doesn't matter." He kissed her. "Are you hungry?"

"I can eat. Did you want to order out?"

"Yeah, I guess,"

"I'll order something from one of your favorite spots."

He smiled. "Sounds good, I'm gonna take a quick shower,"

"Okay,"

He walked back into his room and closed himself in the bathroom. He breathed deeply closing his eyes only to open them and see Bonnie there, looking at herself in the mirror as she did her hair. She looked over at him and smiled before walking towards him and his heart started racing again wondering if she was actually real but she walks right through him. His hands shake as he opens the door and sees a vision of himself and Bonnie kiss before hugging. He closed the door and turns on the water, quickly removing his clothes and steps in, having the cold water sting his skin hoping it would get him to snap out of it.

...

Bonnie reaches out her hand and felt the mattress and mentally kicked herself, hating that she hasn't gotten used to him not being there yet. She sat up and stretched out her upper half before getting out of bed and immediately in the shower. She brushed her teeth and washed her face while she was in there and wrapped a towel around her body before walking into the living room/ kitchen area and paused.

"Sorry, Mason, I didn't know you were here,"

"No, it's okay...it's only my apartment."

She smiled then poured herself a cup of coffee before walking back into the room.