new york

Florence was standing in the middle of Times Square, Sam's hand in hers and his lettermen jacket around her shoulders. In her eyes were the reflections of thousands of neon billboards. The square was as crowded as ever, but sam only had eyes for her. Both teens were the happiest they had ever been, neither was aware of how short that feeling was going to last for.

The new Directions were all gathered on the big stone stairs by Times Square, laughing and enjoying each other's company. After months of hard work, they had finally made it. They were in New York.

"A year and a half ago the New Directions were nothing but a group of seven misfits stumbling their way through a horrific rendition of sit down you're rocking the boat. And now, we're on top of the show choir heap, Nationals!" Kurt smiled, looking around to look his friends in the eyes. 

"I want to hit up Central Park, get my frolic on" Tina smiled, taking a bite of the sandwich she was just handed. Mike send her a questioning look, but Tina was already too lost in her own thoughts to notice.

"I want to throw stuff off the Brooklyn Bridge" Puck spoke, not receiving one surprised look about his wish. 

"You guys, hold on!" Finn yelled from the bottom of the stairs, "I mean, we still have two songs to write" he added, looking up at his friends.

"Okay, Mr. Bossy Pants" Kurt laughed, "I think we might have some time for a tune before we leave" he continued, looking around for confirmation. Tina happily nodded and Kurt began singing New York, New York. A few other New Directions members joined in, but they were interrupted by Rachel not long after. 

"Guys, I have news. To celebrate our impending win at Nationals I got us all fourteen tickets to Broadway's longest-running show ever, Cats!" she excitedly yelled, waving the tickets in the air. 

A few people cheered, but Quinn was skeptical. "You might want to check the dates on those tickets, Rachel" she informed her, "Because Cats closed like eleven years ago" 

Rachel quickly scanned the papers in her hand. She looked disappointed when she focussed her gaze back on the New Directions, but she didn't seem to let it ruin her good mood. "He did seem crazy. Charged my credit card by swiping it through his butt-crack" 

The New Directions had been put on lockdown by their teacher. Mr. Schuester seemed to have something urgent, but he didn't tell the kids what it was and just left them in their room with the instructions to write a song. Two songs, to be exact.

Brittany was the only one who actually wrote and sang a song so far, and even though Florence loved the song she performed, the other Glee Club members were not such big fans of My Cup. 

Sam was throwing chips into the air as Florence tried to catch them with her mouth, so far she had caught exactly one, and the other twenty had landed on the carpet.

"What if we write a song about... plants?" Florence suddenly spoke. Brittany nodded enthusiastically and got up to grab a pen and paper, but Artie stopped her. 

"Sorry to bust your bubble, but we ain't winning Nationals by singing about a plant" Artie sighed, softly pushing Brittany back into her spot. 

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far, are a song about a cup and the mention of a plant the furthest we've gotten?" Tina asked, a look on her face that was either a look of disappointment or of exhaustion, or maybe even a mix of both.