10 | eventful morning, friends again?

suitcase - the new electric sound

⇆ㅤ ||◁ㅤ❚❚ㅤ▷||ㅤ ↻

only if we could say we're sorry... only if you could say you loved me, only if I was the one...

=====

Oikawa's POV

Once Shouyou was properly cleaned up, I hung his bag up and put his bloody clothes in the laundry hamper. He put a shirt on and waddled over like a scolded puppy. A small grip on my shirt made me turn around.

"To-San... Why'd you leave, anyway..? Why'd you have to yell at me like that and just up and leave? You... never gave me a reason..."

His voice was soft, slightly hoarse, and the forming bruise on his throat made me realize I owed Miya a punch in the throat as well.

"I... What do you mean? You were the one who talked shit to begin with. Though I should've just confronted you about it instead of getting-"

"What are you talking about? Back in middle school? I never said anything remotely close to shit about you."

I felt a chill of shock run up my spine and turned around to face him in haste. "Wait, what do you mean? Your friend, uh, what was his name? Hengi or something? He told me what you said."

It was like the weight resting on my shoulders all these years was steadily cracking with each word Sho-Chan spoke.

"That guy? What did he say to you?"

"He said that... he heard you talking about how I could never take on Mom's business and... a few other things."

Sho-Chan's eyes widened, and his mouth dropped open. "I wouldn't say that! Why would you trust that liar?!"

He wasn't happy, tears were building in his stunning eyes. "You left me because you believed a stupid kid like Hengi?!" His breathing was getting rough, he began tugging on his hair, and I tried to reach out to stop him, but he turned away from me.

"All this time, I thought I did something wrong or you just hated me or something, but it was because of a little lie? What the fuck, Tooru?!"

"I know, I should've talked to you before-"

"Yeah, yeah, you should've!" He was crying, I could hear it in his voice and his back shook, but I don't blame him. He just found out that his best friend completely left him because of a pointless lie told by someone I didn't even remember the face of.

God... How stupid can I be?

"No, Sho-Chan, Shouyou, please, don't cry... I was just a stupid child, and you know how much Mom's-"

"I'm not crying! I get why you'd be mad about that! I just... can't believe it's... not my fault..."

He stopped tugging on his hair, crouching down and burying his face in his knees. "It's such a relief..."

I felt tears pooling in my eyes as the weight on my shoulders completely shattered. My body felt light as I tackled him into a hug and held him close to me on the floor. My knees were on either side of him, his arms wrapped around me tightly.

"To... San~!" He sobbed, and I could only cry with him as we held each other close like we had done a million times before as children. It felt so nice, so warm and nostalgic.

I had doubts that he had never said that, but getting clarification is absolutely soul-healing. I'm sure Shouyou's still mad at me, at least a little, for leaving him in such a time of need, but I just- I can't right now. I just wanna hold him and show him how sorry I am...

He wasn't going to let go, I picked him up and sat us on the bed so we could be more comfortable. "I missed you..." My tears dripped onto his neck and face, but he didn't mind at all. I missed seeing Shouyou so relaxed.

"Mmh..." He hummed in reply, still hugging me close by the neck. It feels so, so unbelievably nice to hold him again, to be held by him.

I couldn't be there for him then, but maybe I could be there for him now. If he'll let me, that is.

"Sho-Chan, let me be here for you. Please, please rely on me again... I'll never let anything tear us apart again, so... please..?"

A small nod and I was holding Shouyou tighter, soaking in his warmth. Even though I had left him, Shouyou still remained close by to help, always helping me when I was sick, or giving an extra hand at the vet when Mom was overrun with appointments.

He's such an amazing person, I don't deserve him, the world doesn't deserve such a wonderful person that it's treated so cruelly.

A knock sounded on the door and we froze. "Shouyou, honey, are you home? I just got a call from your teacher telling me you got into a fight at school and ran off..."

In a panic, I helped Shouyou up and tiptoed to the closet just as the doorknob jiggled and the door opened. Through the small creases of the closet doors, we could see Natsu rushing in and leaping onto Shouyou's bed.

"Shou-Onii-Chan~!" She called, then Auntie walked in, looking around. 

Ah, shit, his skateboard and bag are here... Thank God we put the first aid kits up.

 Shouyou closed his eyes, our breath mingling between us in the small space. I gulped and turned back to the door. 

"Huh? Maybe he came here and left? I'll have to have a talk with him when he gets back... Natsu, I thought you weren't feeling well. Want me to take you back to daycare?"

She yelped and began fake coughing as she slid off Sho-Chan's bed and began walking to the door. "Let's go back downstairs, now, baby."

Auntie walked out of the room, and Natsu's eyes fell onto the closet. Both Shouyou and I tensed until she turned away and chased after her mother. 

"Thank God..." He whispered, his eyes still on the closet door. "They left the door open... Haha, we should play a game to see who has to get out first to close... it..."

His words trailed off, our eyes meeting and our breath hitting each other's faces. God, he looked so hot in the low light, right in front of me... His lips parted...

I had to remember, though, that we only just now made up as friends, and kissing him, especially after he had just been assaulted, would just be ridiculous.

But... Shouyou's eyes flickered down to my mouth, the light shining in them just right. We were mere inches apart and I thought that, well, maybe I could wipe the feeling of Miya's lips off with my own..?

His eyes met with mine again when I placed a hand on his cheek, caressing his face gently and leaning in. His eyes were close to shutting, I could see it in the small sliver left of my vision. I could feel the warmth of his face, the brush of his lips...

Until Shouyou turned his head. "Uh... I was thinking we could... maybe... go out for lunch? Maybe the skatepark and junkyard... too... If it's not weird or anything..."

I smiled at him, removing my hand from his face and trying to shake off the disappointment I felt. It was a stupid feeling, considering he held no romantic feelings for me at all. It was just the heat of the moment.

"Yeah, that's sounds good. We can catch up and stuff." He smiled at me, and I felt my heart jump.

This morning sure has been eventful, and, honestly, I feel like I'm dreaming...

=====