C1. A Short Fuse and a Long Memory

Celeste POV

"That sounds like a you problem big fella, I told you I wasn't coming in today, goodbye Price." I hang up and sigh finishing up my hair before washing my hands and going to the living room seeing my idiot brother sneaking into the food.

" Get yo fat ass out of my food, go get Dave some clothes ready in case he outgrew em or they lost something. "He smacks his lips popping the piece of meat into his mouth wiping his hands on his pants, fucking bum.

" This Diamond we talking about, ain't nothing of his missing. Unless he gives it away. He fine, don't be babying him either when he gets back. You love doing that shit." I can't wait until Diamond gets back, I can not cope with his ass anymore.

" Ain't you supposed to be at work anyway? Yo ass never miss work,"

"This is a special occasion, so no I'm not heading to work. What time are we supposed to be heading to get him? He ain't at county." He nods patting his pockets before nodding to the back door. I grab my purse and coat following him out locking up behind me. As we jog down the stairs I think of David, he forced J, to not take me to visit him, when I snuck up there I wasn't on the list so I couldn't see him. It's been fifteen years and I miss him, a lot.

Chicago's winter is a bitch, but I can't pretend like it's not the setting of majority of my childhood memories and many of my adult ones. I let my window up after getting a face full of cold air that has my forehead hurting.

"You know Diamond is proud of you." I scoff looking over at him before looking ahead shaking my head my knuckles ringing out as I pop them.

"It ain't shit new to see the only female of a family go to school. I only did the shit to make grandma proud."

"And she was, everyone was, You definitely gave us something to brag about something me and D couldn't give. Be proud of yourself not everyone could get the chance."

"You could've, a U of Chicago degree and whatever one you picked hanging side by side is a beautiful picture, it ain't too late, J. But mine is old news give it up, man."

"Yeah, well Diamond was clear in his dreams for us, you and I know that." I roll my eyes before turning up the music mumbling the lyrics as I go.

When we make it to the prison J gets out but I keep the door open with a leg out, Jenard digging in my chips as I drink my hot chocolate. I scroll down my time line until I hear the gate crank open. I turn my phone off and sit up seeing him walking out. Jenard walks up to him first.

“Big Bro!”  I smile at the clash but frown at the lack of shoes on his feet. I reach into the back grabbing J's slides getting out of the truck“Lil bro!”

"Celestial, You're beautiful baby!" I smile and drop the slides at his feet and giggle as he suffocates me in his arms, I inhale his scent and relax into his arms while I hug back just as tight.

"I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too, I couldn't wait to see you." I finally pull away and I look at his feet pointing at them.

"Missed us so much you left your shoes?" He looks down at them while shuffling his feet into the too little slides.

"Nah, I gave em to a security guard inside. Come on let's get outta here." I nod and walk to the truck getting in the back but I see him playing in a puddle. He stands up, Jen talking shit as usual as they get inside pulling off and we head home.