chapter 1, moving

***

***

packing my things into my suitcase i sighed. i had gotten accepted into the University of Boston and i couldn't wait to get out of this small town. i graduated with only 200 people in my class. and those are from 2 towns combined.

i finished packing and walked out to my car and threw my suitcase inside. i was driving so i didn't have to worry about airplane regulations.

"i can't believe you're leaving me." my mom said as she lit a cigarette and leaned against the doorframe.

i sighed and closed the trunk of my car. i walked past her to grab more things.

"you could stay, ya know?"

"mom there is nothing in this town. i've told you this."

"well sorry that i'm worried for my daughter. moving away and leaving me, for what? i guess i'm just a terrible mother." my mom said raising her voice. i rolled my eyes and walked out to my car with my keys in my hand.

"you know what, you are a bad mother. that's why i'm leaving. i can't believe grandma raised such a manipulative child." i said as i stepped into my car, closed my car door and drove off.

i sighed and rubbed my forehead. i had everything i needed. money, food, water, clothes, and a will to live.

that's more than what other people have, especially the last one.

~~~

i had been driving for about two days obviously stopping at cheap motels along the way. my mom had been blowing up my phone the entire time and i was annoyed. i didn't want to deal with her right now.

i made my way to boston and i made it to my apartment. i parked and jumped out and walked to the front lobby. i smiled at the front desk lady.

"hello, how can i help you?"

"im Caroline Rivers, im here for my keys to my apartment."

"oh, yes! i remember you! let me grab those for you!" she said cheerfully. she walked to the back and grabbed my keys. "welcome to your new home Caroline." she said with a big smile, her pearly white teeth on full display. "and if you need any help carrying your things just holler." she said.

"thank you." i said as i took my keys from her and smiled as i walked up to the elevators and pressed the up button.

i waited about 30 seconds before the doors opened. out stepped a few people leaving the elevator empty as i walked inside and pressed the button for the 8th floor.