chapter 19, dad

***

***

i didn't care where i was going. i didn't know where i was going. i just knew i had to leave. i was too caught up in my emotions. and so was everyone else.

i drove for 30 minutes before i pulled into a parking lot. i turned off my car and pressed my forehead to the steering wheel. i just wanted to cry, but i felt stupid for crying.

i squeezed my eyes shut and gripped the steering wheel.

fuck.

i cried. not hard, i just wanted to cry and let it out. i felt so stupid and humiliated. like crying in this situation was wrong and pathetic.

i took in a deep breath and wiped my eyes.

i grabbed my wallet and walked inside the diner. there was a teenage girl at the counter and once she saw me she gave me a pitiful look.

"hi." i said in almost a whisper.

she sighed and gave me a smile. "hi, what can i get you?"

"just, uh, just a medium chocolate shake and medium fries." i said.

she nodded and put in the order. i saw the total and handed her a 10 dollar bill.

"it's on me, you look like you just went through a break up."

i scoffed and smiled a little. "really how could you tell?"

"your mascara and your eyes are red."

well fuck me.

i wiped under my eyes with my pointer finger and looked at it and saw black.

i sighed. "well, damn." i said.

"was it a break up?"

"worse than that." i chuckled. "well maybe not worse."

"do you wanna tell me?"

"it's complicated." i said shrugging.

"my shift ends in about 20 minutes." she said with a small smile. "if you would like we could talk then."

i smiled a little. "i would love that actually."

"great." she said sweetly. "i'm Cora."

"Caroline."

"it's nice to meet you. i'll get you your food."

"thank you."

she smiled and winked at me and walked away. i sighed and turned around and sat at a booth. it was baby pink and blue, it almost reminded me of a 1950's diner. with its colorful neon signs and the tile. the barstools and the old jukebox that played Elvis in the background.

i smiled and waited patiently for my food and my milkshake.

and about 10 minutes later Cora walked out. she had changed into jeans and a sweatshirt but her blonde hair was still up in a pony tail.