chapter 16, letter

***lol y'all are prolly gonna hate me after this chapter😭😭

***
lol y'all are prolly gonna hate me after this chapter😭😭

waking up in the morning was hard. me and the triplets had stayed up too late and drank too much pop and ate too much candy. i was still in my sugar crash and didn't want to come out of it.

that is until there was a knock on the door. i groaned and got up from the living room floor and stumbled up. i walked over to the door and opened it and saw the mailman. he scoffed at my appearance.

"i can see you had fun last night." he chuckled.

i smiled a little and rubbed my eyes. "thanks Danny." i said. "what do you got for me?" i sighed.

"Carolineeee." someone groaned from inside my apartment.

i looked behind me to see Chris walking over to me, half alive half dead.

"Chris, hold on." i said.

he groaned, now annoyed as he trudged over to my couch and fell down.

"well Caroline, i've only been giving you your mail for about a month, and i have never seen this before." he said handing me my mail.

"same."

he scoffed and smiled. "have a good day."

"you too, and congratulations on your engagement." i said with a smile.

"you'll be the first person i invite." he said with a smile as he walked down the hallway.

"i better!" i called out to him.

i could hear him laugh. i smiled and closed the door. i looked at my mail and slowly walked over to the couch before i stopped. my heart dropped.

this could not be happening.

"Caroline, are you okay?" Matt asked as he walked into the kitchen.

i couldn't seem to think straight. i could see Chris standing up as Nick walked inside.

"my dad just sent me a letter."

***

i sat at my counter. sitting on one of my barstools. i stared at the letter. Nick stood on the other side of the counter and Matt stood next to him while Chris sat in the other barstool.

i hadn't opened the letter, i had been pretty much staring at it for the last hour. i couldn't do it. nothing in me had enough strength to even make a tear in the paper.

"Caroline..." Chris said, i could see him lean in towards me. his face was in front of mine. i had tears in my eyes but they hadn't fallen. he looked me in my eyes and put his hand on my back. "you need to open it."

i clenched my jaw and looked at the envelope.

"how did he even know where i lived?" i said, my voice cracking and shaky.

"i don't know, but you can't stare at it. i know it's hard but you need to open this." Nick said. "we'll all be right here by your side."

Matt nodded. "you have us with you, okay? you can do this."

i looked away from Matt and back at the envelope. i turned it around and once i did everyone seemed to take in a deep breath as i opened it up and took out the thing inside.

it was a card.

a birthday card.

i furrowed my eyebrows and looked back in the envelope and saw that this was the only thing inside. i set the envelope aside and opened the card out fell a folded piece
of paper and another small thing.

i read what it said inside.

for all the birthdays i missed

what in the actual fuck is going on?

i put the card down and unfolded the paper. it was a letter. i was now frozen as i read.

Dear Caroline,

this is my apology after 10 years of being gone. I need to explain why i left. it wasn't you Caroline. it never was. i love you and your brother very much, you both were my everything. i never meant for things to turn out the way they did.

i wasn't ready to be a father. i was young and scared. having kids was hard, and you both were crazy. Oliver and you. but i adored you. you were my best friend and the best thing that ever happened to me.

i know this is all past-due and i should've done this years ago, but i knew your mother would throw a fit if i did. i never got the chance to know you, but i want to know you now.

i want you to know your step-mother, i hope you will give me the chance.

if you do want to come see me, this is my address. 1856 North Berry st. Providence Rhode Island. we have set up a reservation at Epiphany Restaurant tomorrow.

from, dad

i stared at the letter. i can't believe this man had the actual nerve to send me this. i don't know how he got my address but i didn't care. i would go to that restaurant. and i would give him hell.

"what did it say?"

i gulped as my sadness turned into anger.

"boys, we have a road trip to take tonight." i said with a smirk.

***

"i can't believe we are doing this." Chris said as we arrived at the hotel. i ignored him and unpacked my things. we were only here for tonight and tomorrow so i planned to make this the most drama filled, family ruining one yet. "if you were in my situation," i said as i put my suitcase away, "you would be doing the same exact thing."

"i mean, i agreed with it right away. i would love to see you beat the shit out of your dad." Nick said with a shrug.

i smiled. "this is why i love you."

Chris sighed. "Caroline, i just don't want you to do anything stupid. you're being impulsive right now."

i clenched my jaw. "for 10 years going on 11 here soon my father wasn't around. he didn't want to be a father, yet, he is one with a new fucking family." i said through gritted teeth. "and i really don't care what you say right now, i'm going to that fucking restaurant and i will beat his ass in front of everyone." i said. "maybe he'll get a hint of everything he put me through."

"Caroline, i understand you're angry, i really do, but you're acting on your impulsivity right now. you're angry and when people get angry they do stupid things, just make sure you sit and really think about it." Chris said putting his hands on my arms.

i sighed, he was really the only person that could clam me down. i felt safer. still angry but safer and calmer.

"i will." i said with a small smile.

in my mind i knew i wouldn't be able to hold back. i knew what would happen and i knew how it would end.

and it would not be pretty.

***

i love you guys...

don't hate me