43. Stay

She stepped onto the red carpet, her footsteps falling deaf on the lush fabric. Her naked feet thumping against the ground as she kept walking further into the oblivion.

The dim light that the fire gave off wasn't enough but it wasn't bad either. They were placed in equal distance from each other, illuminating each and separate parts of the desolate path.

The bowls of flames were rising by every minute as the moon descended downwards from the enormous wind at the far end of the hallway.

She soared through the cold air, her lace dress flying along as she continued walking. Wisps of hair held onto the roots while the tips let themselves flow with the wind.

The long white gown slid on the ground as she kept heading towards the seemingly endless hallway. The moonlight shone over the bouquet of white roses with droplets of red paint scattered over them.

As much as she was trying to reach the window, she couldn't. As if she was walking on the same place on a treadmill. Her nose was red and her eyes were moist yet she kept going.

Having enough, she began to run. She tripped a couple of times on her abnormally long dress but she kept sprinting. But this time, she wasn't running to reach the window; she was running because something that was chasing her.

Ink.

Hoards and hoards of ink flooded, inching towards her ankles every minute. Walls were covered, the carpet getting tainted in navy blue, the flambeaux diminishing one by one.

She grabbed the ends of her dress and began to dash, not caring about her state. Her bouquet was long forgotten, the bunch of white roses now dissolving in blue.

She looked back, once, twice, thrice, yet the situation was worsening. Baby hair stuck to her face due to sweat. Her throat was getting dry because of breathing too much with her mouth.

Her anxiety levels sky-rocketed with her feet stomping on the ground as she desperately tried to escape its grasps.

Half of her dress was drenched in black. It was more heavier to keep up and run...so she collapsed.

The ink draped around her, creeping onto her skin like a leech. Features submerged, she finally cracked an eye open.

A stream of the blue-black ink trailed towards her, specifically, towards her heart. It stopped at a distance and the dissolved into the pool of liquid behind her.

A sharp pain tore open her chest from inside. It felt like someone was continuously stabbing her in the heart and with each second, her skin started getting paler.

She felt like her ribs were broken one by one. Her windpipe closed on it's own causing her to cough and struggle to breath. Ink smothered all over her figure, possessing her physique.

Her nails dragged on the red carpet as she continued to fight for oxygen. Her feet desperately hit against the floor as she turned around, finding a way to breathe.

She coughed and coughed. Pulling her hair in frustration, she tried to get up but the ink was pulling her back down. All of these were draining a little bit of life out of her every second.

She got paler and paler and her moves were more lazy. She felt another blow to her chest causing her to fall back on the ground. The ink getting a hold on her at last. It was like if chains were tied to her limbs, refusing to let her go.

An ear-piercing scream escaped her mouth as she finally settled down. Her body was no longer fighting, she fell limp and her eyes drooped slowly.