Chapter 12: "I'm glad you're my friend,"

Gina's POV:

I think I have a crush on E.J Caswell and it hasn't even been a full day with him. He's not who I expected him to be. He's not the celebrity Carlos or Ashlyn says he is. He's not the same guy on all the billboards and magazines. He's a nice guy and he genuinely cares about me even though we just ran into each other the other day. He's different than Howie, Big Red, Carlos, and Seb. E.J is accepting and he's a little emotional and he can be cocky but that's only because he's famous. He didn't know what diabetes was at first but he was willing to learn and that matters to me. I think he's more than a friend to me but I can't tell him that because he's famous. He has his own life.

I've never been in love before or even had a crush but I think I like E.J Caswell more than a friend. I know that people in the movies fall in love at first sight or in one day but my life is certainly not like the movies.

"Gina, what are you thinking about? You aren't watching the movie," E.J nudged my shoulder and paused my laptop that was playing Princess Protection Program.

"Hmm? Oh just thinking about my dad," I reply and press play on my laptop again.

"Oh ok, thanks again for letting me stay another night. You know I'm trying to avoid my parents and paparazzi," I hear E.J say to me but I'm back to focusing on the movie.

"Thanks for complimenting my work at dinner," I reply quietly and focus on my laptop.

"No problem. I meant what I said at dinner. Your work is really good. You are definitely getting into FIT. ," I listen to E.J say but I'm too distracted by the movie.

"You're um meter thing is beeping," I hear E.J say but I'm watching the movie and trying not to think about him.

"Oh uh thanks," I get up off my bed and stand up to check my meter.

Yup, just as I suspected my glucose reading is 240 from that pudding and whipped cream. I take a moment to press some buttons on my pump to give some insulin then hop back into bed.

"You good?" I look over to E.J who is relaxing on my bed and messing with his hair again.

What is with him and his hair? He's like obsessed with it.

"Yeah my glucose reading is just high from the pudding. I gave myself insulin though," I say as I grab my water bottle from my nightstand and take a sip.

"Well, I hope you are okay. Can you teach me more about these glucose reading and highs and lows?," E.J pauses the movie again and sits up against one of my pillows.

"Well I'm not a medical expert but I can try to explain what it feels like to you," I hesitate and smile since he's actually interested in something other than his hair.

"Ok, I'm listening," I watch as E.J sits across from me on my bed.

See another thing that I like about him is that he listens, even though sometimes he cuts me off. Like last night.

"Well when my glucose reading is low I feel cold and shaky. Sometimes if its too low like below 70 I feel dizzy or I don't feel good. And when my glucose reading is high like about 200, I feel thirsty and tired. I get low readings when I've worked too much or walked too much and high reading when I sit too long or eat too much carb or sugar. It's different for every person who has diabetes," I say as E.J sits there and listens to me.

For a second, I forget that he's famous. He's understanding and willing to learn. I like those kind of people.

"And you have the meter because you don't feel when your glucose reading drops right?" E.J sits there and looks at me happily.