Chapter 20: "What happened?"

Gina's POV:

I open my eyes and stretch my arms out then realize that there's an IV in my arm.

What happened?

The back of my head hurts. It just feels like a bruise though. Why are there wires connected to my body it's definitely not my pump. Where am I?

"Oh my gosh, you're awake," I look across the room and see my two best friends sitting in plastic chairs crying.

"Where am I? What happened? Why is their an IV in my arm?" I look around the room and notice that I am in a children's hospital room.

"You fainted in front of those interviewers the other day. Your mom came home just in time and thought it was your glucose reading. We knew that you hadn't eaten since that small bite of apple so we told her what happened before. She tried to look for your glucagon nose spray to wake you up but I guess you really did faint. You were rushed to the hospital and the paparazzi are outside. The IV is to make sure you are hydrated," I listen to Ashlyn explain to me after she gently goes over to hug me.

(A/N: as an author with type 1 diabetes I need to explain little things like Glucogon to my audience. BAQSIMI is the first and only dry nasal spray that can treat low blood sugar emergencies. It is a form of glucagon given as a puff in the nose. Ok keep reading)

"Wait, the other day? How long have I been asleep?" I look around the room for a clock.

"Oh you've been asleep for 14 hours. You must've really been tired. Your parents are in the cafeteria getting food. We told them we would keep an eye on you and tell them when you wake up," I look over at Kourtney who still looks sad.

"How did you guys get here? Aren't there paparazzi outside?" I ask them since I'm still confused about what happened.

"Your parents drove us. We couldn't stay over night though so we went home to change and freshen up. Let me call the doctor and your parents," I see Kourtney get up as if she's the adult in charge.

Wow, I'm still so confused. One second I'm crying over E.J Caswell the next second I'm in the hospital.

"Hey, are you feeling okay? Do you need water? Is your head feeling okay? You fell on the carpet the other day," I look over at Ashlyn who scooted her chair next to the hospital bed.

"I think it's just bruised. Can you get me some water?," I tell her since I do need water but want to be left alone for a moment to think.

What happened?

"I'll go get a cup of water, Kourtney is coming with the doctor and your parents. Please lay back and rest," I see Ashlyn get up and it all comes back to me.

Everything. The beach, the not eating incident, the interviewer, the paparazzi, everything.

I just sit there for a moment alone and I want to cry but I don't I just sit there and stare at the wall.

I don't know where my phone is so I can't check social media and I don't think that's a good idea right now.

"Hi, can I come in? I'm Dr. Ramirez, I've been taking care of you for the last day," I hear a knock on the door and snap out of my thoughts.

"Are my parents here?" I look up and motion for the doctor to come in with my hand without the IV in it.

"They are outside. I told them that I wanted to do a general procedure first before they come in and ask questions. How are you feeling Gina?" I watch as the doctor walks over to me.

All of a sudden, I get flashbacks of when I was in the hospital and first got diagnosed with diabetes. It's not traumatizing or anything. I just remember it clearly.