My Story

Okay, Um, Hi everyone! I thought I could tell you about how I was diagnosed. So let me tell you a bedtime story 💀💀

So I think my Beta Cells, (which make insulin) began to die out around October-December of 2020. I had stopped menstruating, lost a lot of weight, and was extremely tired, and very depressed. During the lockdown of March to April 2021, I was too deteriorated physically and mentally to attend online school. I was often yelled at by my parents for laziness. My parents would also get angry at me for eating so much. Because I couldn't transmit energy to my cells, my body was always in constant craving of high carb things. When I returned to school, I slept in lessons a lot, and also had to refill my bottle between each lesson. I fell extremely behind in grades, and at present, I still haven't caught up completely. My friends would often joke about how much water I drank, and pretty much made it a meme.

In early may, my mum realised how underweight I was, when hugging me when I wore a swimsuit. She took me to a GP, who spent a whole half hour trying to convince me I had bulimia. She then told my mum I had bulimia, despite me firmly saying that I didn't. She pressed on about the bulimia thing for ages. My GP sent me for a blood test, as I told her I didn't have bulimia, just so they could see if I had a problem with my thyroid gland, which they thought it could be.

On the last day of May 2021, me and my mum went on holiday to Dorset, just the two of us for half term. We went to Lyme Regis for a beach holiday. We had a nice first day, after arriving in the afternoon, and I got dressed for dinner and went to a restaurant. I had a meal very high in carbs. I had chips and a burger, a sundae, and an absolute shit tonne of orange juice. My diabetic queens get why the orange juice thing is such a problem. I went to bed, and by morning, I had lost all of the sugar I had absorbed. The next morning, I went to look for the cereal me and my mum had bought the day before to find that we had left it in the shop without taking it with us. I was obviously so, so hangry so I started full on sobbing over the cereal.

Afterwards, my mum told me we could get breakfast at a shop, and then my GP called. I thought she was talking about my grandpa, because at the time, he was having some health problems. I didn't hear much of it though, they had the conversation in the hotel room's bathroom. While I was drinking even more water to make up for how drained I was, my mum came in and said we had to go to hospital. Because I was so emotional, I started full on crying again. Embarrassing. She grabbed me a bagel, and we had to do the 45 minute drive to Dorset county Hospital. She reassured me that we'd be back on the beach by lunch. We had to do a lot of waiting around, and at my blood test, the obviously new doctor drew my blood wrong and it started spilling everywhere from my arm. But I was fine don't worry. After another hour of waiting, a lady brought us into an empty room full of mouldy broken disused life support machines. It was like the room of requirement from Harry Potter when it's filled with all those dark magic devices, but it was medical equipment and it was a tiny room. A lady told me I was type one diabetic, and I started crying so so much for like the tenth time that day.

We were re-directed to a childrens ward, where I was examined by a lady in hufflepuff shoes. While I was in that room, for maybe an hour, I saw an emo teenage girl, and a mother with a baby named Felix. A man named who looked like he would probably be called Tom told me he'd get me a snack, but he never did. I cried for quite a long time after that, but some nurses comforted me. I was moved into a proper ward, but with two teenage girls who had both been there for more than a year and a half in there. As I have said, my dinner was so late, because they lost the insulin pen. Late into that night, I couldn't sleep, because the girl next to me, and the nurse were both singing that song "Body" which was trending on TikTok at that point in time. They also talked about Costa and Nando's. Anyway, I finally fell asleep. I was in hospital for four days, and then returned home. Even though I was very ill, the school still sent me my end of year exams to do from home. I cried while doing them because I felt so ill and couldn't process any of it.

When I got back to school, a rumour had been spread that a hitman was sent to kill my mum, but I had defended her, meaning I was stabbed in the pancreas and then it exploded, and that was why I was in hospital.

Of course, this was backed up by the fact the only thing I told them when they asked why I was in hospital was "My pancreas is Brocken 😢" and "Dead pancreas 🤪"

I don't know how to finish this but I hope you enjoyed x