Goodbye (for now)

Sam's POV

The next few days flew by, and I wish I could've stayed in them forever. But time doesn't stop for anyone.
I was in the car on the way to the airport with my family, and I giggled from the backseat as Noya spammed me with crying emojis. Luckily, we'd taken ubers, so it was just me and my brother in one, whilst my parents had the luxury of dealing with my two sisters and baby brother; Serves them right for having 5 kids.
I looked up from my phone as the car parked in the airport carpark. I let out a sigh, and grabbed one of my bags. I got out, and went to grab the rest of the bags from the boot. My brother refused to help, and only took the lightest bag.

"You're such a prick." I tell him, to which he just ignores.
I carry all of the bags into the airport, in a strong airport crush kind of way.
My friends decide to facetime me as I'm trying to carry the bags and suitcases without falling over my own feet.
I somehow manage to answer, and it's Hinata.

Hinata POV:

"So where you gonna come over to say goodbye, or what?" I said sadly through the phone. "Were you ever going to call me? Did you just decide to shut me out before you left or something?" I sat on my bedroom floor, feeling the cold wall against my neck. "I kept calling, but you weren't responding." My hands were shaking a little, but I ignored them.

"Sho, I'm sorry." Sam began. "It's been busy, you know, with the move." They sighed "I wanted to say goodbye. I was going to, I promise!"

"Were you going to, really? Because it seems to me that you just wanted the easy way out. You couldn't bring yourself goodbye, so you didn't." I could feel the sadness and anger flowing through my head in painful, overwhelming waves.

"I was busy, I had to help my parents pack. I'm the eldest, so I'm responsible for everything, remember? I was about to call you when we checked in."

"I want to talk to you. Just stay on the phone." I said, curling up on the floor, trying to shrink as small as I could, into a safe little bubble.

"Yeah, of course." Sam said in response, their voice disfigured over the phone.

"Are you.. um.. excited?" I asked softly, tucking my knees further into my chest. "Is England nice?"

"It's okay." Sam responded. "There are some changes I'll be glad to see. But, then again, I'll miss you. I have friends in the UK, but I don't really have any friends like you. I don't understand how anyone can have so much energy, let alone someone fighting diabetes. You're really weird, you know." They laugh.

I sniffed a little from the other side of the phone. "You're a bit weird too... even though you've been diabetic since forever, you're still convinced it's this awful thing that you should be ashamed of, but without it, I don't think you'd be half the person you are now. That's what's really weird."

"Stop it, I don't wanna cry in the airport." Sam said, fake sniffling.

"My mum's sorry your leaving..." I said into my phone. "She really liked you."

"I like her too Shoyo. I'm gonna miss your family." Sam responded, the sniffles starting to sound a little too realistic. "Especially Natsu."

"Natsu doesn't even know your leaving.." I laughed, feeling painful tears sting my eyes. "But this doesn't have to be sad. Good things are coming! Nationals, and whatever. Praying I can keep in control through that mess."

"You have Kenma with you! It'll be no problem."

"Sam, don't forget about me. When I see you again, god forbid I ever see you again, I don't want it to be awkward, because we'll be picking up right where we left off. You need to keep calling me, keep texting. Update me on what's happening; I need to know that you're in control, and looking after yourself."

"Yeah, yeah of course I will. You're still going to be one of my best friends, even if I can't see you in person. When you make it big, I'm going to be the loudest person cheering, front and centre." Sam promised. They were confused to be met with silence, followed with soft little sniffles. "Shoyo? Are you crying"
Cold tears spilled down my face, as I looked down at my phone.

"Y-yeah.. I don't know wh-why... sorry..." I whimpered. "I'll be f-fine.. don't worry about me."

"Okay... well, I can only stay a few more minutes, yeah?"

"Y-yeah, okay. Have a nice flight. Text me when you land."

"Can you promise you'll be okay?" Sam asked. "Like, you won't do anything crazy?"

"Yeah," I let out a little sob "I'll be sensible. Remember insulin a-and all of that. As I said, don't worry about me. I don't want make you late for your flight. I'd hug you goodbye, but I think we left it a little too late for that.."

"Yeah.." Even Sam was crying a little. "I'll be fine. So.. um, see you soon? Maybe?"

"Yeah, soon. Bye, Sam. Be safe."

"Yeah, bye Shoyo. I'll miss you."

No POV:

That was all it took. Hinata hung up the phone, laying on the floor, alone with his thoughts. Their friendship wasn't over, but this chapter of it was, and it ached a little. Hinata had come to dislike change, having found the changes in his life never seemed to treat him well.

But life went on. Hinata didn't wait for them outside Sam's house anymore. A new family had moved in anyway. He'd seen them before, on one of many times he'd accidentally cycled over to visit his friend, forgetting, of course, that they were thousands of miles away. Practice was nothing short of a pandemonium, yet through teenage commotion, it felt dead silent without the sound of a familiar camera clicking. He treaded home, holding his bike handles, as he did every day, seeing Natsu on the front steps.

"When's Sam coming back over?" She asked, looking up at her brother expectantly.

"I told you, Natsu. They aren't coming back anymore. They moved away."

"Did you break up?"

Hinata snorted. "No, no of course not. We weren't like that." He pushed his sister out of the way, stepping inside. "They're in a whole other country.." he went up to his bedroom, staring at his phone. Him and Sam chatted as much as possible, of course, but it was difficult, living nine hours apart, feeling just inches out of grasp.