Thirty Nine | Surprise

TOM

My hands are wet, my fingers are running through my hair to somewhat tame the strands without using gel and I have my toothbrush hanging out of my mouth with a string of toothpaste mixed saliva dribbling on my bottom lip.

And then came a knock at the door.
Fuck. She's here.

"Cah you geh deh door?! I yelled out to Harry who was watching television in the living room of our apartment. I was trying to say 'can you get the door' to him whilsy I finished brushing my teeth, but the amount of froth and spit in my mouth made it difficult to yell across the apartment. I spat it out, rinsed my mouth and spritzed cologne on my wrists and neck.

"Hi, I'm sorry my Uber arrived a little bit early," I heard Y/N say to Harry as he welcomed her inside and tell her that I was running late 'as per usual'... Bastard.

I quickly tied the laces to my Nikes and hopping out of my bedroom, I pulled my sock up the back of my ankle as it had been shoved down with my aggressive shoe-putting-on. I haven't been this nervous in a while to be completely honest.

"Hi! Hello! Sorry, I was just brushing my teeth. Are you excited?" I grinned, knowing that she was completely in the dark about where we going for our first date.

I had deliberately kept it a secret to where I was taking Y/N for our first proper date. We'd gone out to dinner before, so the classic dinner date was off the cards. I had been to Morocco and I'd been to Scotland with her so I have had more than enough chances to talk with Y/N about her life and mine. We knew a lot about each other already; definitely more than the usual amount of information people knew about each other on a first date.

So what is the purpose of a first date when you already know a lot about the person and you've already developed feelings for them? To show them a part of yourself that they haven't already uncovered.

When I dated Zendaya, I focused way too much on showing her the parts of myself that I thought she wanted to see. I hid the parts of myself that I didn't think she wanted to know, the parts I was embarrassed about, the parts that didn't fit the 'Tom Holland' everyone knew, loved and expected.

I hid my love for golf a hell of a lot. Of course she knew I golfed, but only disclosed maybe one out of three times I actually went to the course to play. I didn't want her to know that I was obsessed. I hid my lack of reading, she would always talk about how she finished books so quickly and I'd nod and agree, although my dyslexia proved difficult for me to be an avid reader. I hid my innate passion for watching football, following every single game like a hawk. I watched my team every single match and if I was hanging out with her during a match, I'd be checking the scores on my phone constantly.

"Excited? Yeah I mean, I'd be more excited if I knew where we were actually going. I-is this okay?" She said looking down and motioning to her outfit.

She had messaged me asking what type of attire she should wear for our secret date. Because, there's nothing worse than rocking up in a suit when the date is to a cinema watching a movie. I told her to wear something super casual and comfortable, jeans and sneakers.

She stood in my apartment now wearing exactly that, a pair of jeans, a black bodysuit and a puffer jacket. And a pair of Jordans, the same colour as mine. Cute, an accidental match.

"I thought, whilst you're still here in London for work, I should show you the real London. And you can see me being myself as a proper Brit. So, I won't blame you if after this date you completely hate me because I would never take a girl here for a normal first date because she'd ghost me straight away," I laughed, nervous that Y/N would do the same.

"So where are we going?" She asked again.

"Open the bag and you'll see," I said pointing to the paper bag on the couch behind her. She giggled excitedly, looking at me weirdly because obviously surprises like this weren't common. She opened the bag and pulled out the contents, laughing and shaking her head at me.

"You don't want to go? I mean, we don't have to, I just thought this would be kind of different and fun," I asked nervously.

She unfolded the soccer jersey and looked at the name on the back with a large grin. She just shook her head and laughed more at me though. I was getting nervous.

"I'd love to see a game with you, it'll be fun," she smiled, taking her jacket off and slipping the white football jersey on over her bodysuit.

"You look good in a 'Spurs uniform darling, it suits you," I laughed.

Checking my phone I told her we should get going, as we didn't want to be late. I wanted to take full advantage of the pre-game activities; you know, like getting beers, greasy food, merch and the like.

"You'll have to give me the whole run down on what team this even is and who the guy on my back is," she smiled, grabbing her bag and putting her hand out for me.

"You don't know Kane? Fucking hell, you need educating. You're Harry Kane, I'm Heung-Min Son, and they're like the best Tottenham players" I laughed, putting my own jersey on over my shirt.

"Tottenham... That's the team right?" She smiled.

"Tottenham Hotspur, yeah," I corrected, putting my arm around her as we got to the street and started walking down the street towards the train station.