Personal for @littlecamthings

Beach Day

You searched frantically for your new bikini, trying to remember where you had put it. You found it a few minutes later in your closet and quickly changed into it. It was pink and black striped with little loops on the sides of the bottoms. You pulled on some shorts and your favorite crop top over it, heading downstairs to grab your sunglasses and sunscreen.

You had originally planned for you and your best friend to go to the beach, but she cancelled last minute, leaving you to go alone. You made sure you had everything and drove the hour and a half to the beach.

Stepping out of your car, you grabbed your towel and bag with all of your items in it. You locked the car before taking off your shoes and walking down the sandy beach to find a spot to set your stuff down. Once you found a spot, you positioned your towel and stripped down to your bikini. You took the sunscreen lotion and started rubbing it into your skin, making sure to double-coat your legs and back.

Laying down on your stomach, you relaxed as you tried to tan. You heard someone say, "Look out!" before a ball hit your back.

"Ouch," you squeaked, getting up from your place on the towel. A handsome guy ran over, asking if you were okay. Once you saw his face up close, your heart skipped a beat.

"Alex? Is that you?" he asked, a smile appearing on his face. You nodded hesitantly. You couldn't believe it. Mike, your crush since middle school, was standing mere inches away from you.

"M-Mike?" you whispered in disbelief. You hadn't seen him for two years.

"Yep, that's me. Sorry for hitting you with the volleyball," he chuckled. "Hey, we should catch up, there's this awesome ice cream parlor just down the street. I mean, i-if you want to."

You nodded, blushed, and smiled at the same time. After putting your clothes back on over your bikini, you gathered your things and followed him down the boardwalk.

You caught up a bit along the way, talking about your apartments, his lazy roommate, old times, etc. In those few minutes, your crush on him seemed to re-bloom.

"Here we are," he stopped, opening the door for you like the gentleman he was. You blushed and stepped inside, looking around at the small ice cream parlor. Only a few people were in there, most of them being elderly couples. The inside looked nothing like the outside. The walls were multi-colored and striped, with checkered black and white tile flooring. The ice cream bar contained every ice cream flavor and topping you could ever imagine, from regular chocolate to bubblegum, and butterfingers to gummy bears.

"Wow," you thought out loud, breathing in the scent of candy and fresh-made waffle cones. Mike walked over to the ice cream bar and looked at all the options before ordering a mint fudge waffle cone with oreos on top.

"What would you like, Alex?" he asked you, gesturing to the ice cream.

"I, uh, I think I'll just get the same as you," you said, reaching into your wallet.

"I'll pay for it," he offered, already giving the cashier money. "After all, I do owe you for hitting you with a volleyball."

This made you smile and put away your wallet. Mike handed you your ice cream, taking a lick of his own. You both walked out of the parlor, but not before you gave them a small tip. When you walked down the boardwalk, neither of you talked, as you were both busy eating your delicious ice cream.

You decided to walk down the beach together, enjoying each other's company. "This is nice," Mike finally said, finishing his ice cream. You nodded and took the last bite of your ice cream, giggling a little when it dripped onto your crop top. Thankfully you had brought napkins, and wiped it off.

"Thanks for the ice cream," you smiled up at him. He smiled back and waved it off.

"You're welcome, Alex," he said politely. Suddenly he stopped walking, making you turn around.

"What's wrong?" you asked, placing a hand on his shoulder. You tried to ignore the shiver it sent down your spine.

"Alex, w-would you like to go on a date sometime? I had always wanted to ask you in school, but I never got up the courage. But today was really fun and I-I'd love to do it again," he stammered.

You looked at him with a shocked face. "I-I always thought you liked Molly (get it, Mike & Molly, get it, no? Okay, carry on) and not me. I'd love to, Mike," you said, looking into his eyes. He smiled and brought you into a hug, squishing you against his toned body. You gasped for air and he let you go, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Sorry," he gave you a small smile. You smiled back before reaching up and giving him a peck on the cheek. As cliche as it was, you two watched the sunset together, exchanging phone numbers and planning your first date. It just might have been the best day of your life.