Chapter 17

Kevin could feel the barest hint of a chill in the air, the darkening, crisping of leaves as they flutter to the dusty ground. He smokes his cigar watching the setting sun from the balcony of his office. He was worried. Sebastian was behaving rather oddly. And Stefan, he doubts his brother would tell him anything. He can only think how dumb he had been. Stefan and Sebastian were falling apart. And he wasn't sure why. As much as he wanted to help his friend, he didn't know how to approach

" Won't you go home? " Markian asks leaning in the doorway. Kevin looks at inside and notices Sebastian too making his way to the sofa and flopping down. He shakes his head maybe he was thinking too much.
"What are You guys doing here? " He asks them walking inside. He clearly thought they had went home. He had wanted to go home too. But Stefan had messaged he was bring Evan to him his office.
"We were about to. Then we saw you gazing at the sun. You fought with your mate? " Markian asked. Kevin shook his head chuckling. It wasn't even six months yet. How would he dare to fight his mate.
"As if, we are still on the honey moon phase " He said laughing out.

Sebastian looked away. His face betraying him. The thoughts burns acid in his mouth. Sebastian swallowed it back down, buried it in the swell of dark, broiling uncertainties that stir below his guts. He felt dizzy and lightheaded. He won't think of it; he won't. What was there? He was the rumored Demon. But no one was concerned about that anymore. The pack had even organised a hunt for them a few months back.

They had the event near the forest. And Kevin was so smitten that day. He hasn't even glared at Sebastian that day.

Sebastian had focused on the way Kevin gaze lingered on the Albino. His mind had buzzed. Beneath his thoughts, he wondered what he was even doing here?

"Geez I never thought you could be like this!"Markian said breaking him from his thoughts.

His head ached. The night prior he'd stayed up drinking; it isn't something he's wont to do, not typically, not when the thought of relinquishing control, the thought of the things he might do makes his hands growl cold; but he was so alone and the bottle offered company.

A knock breaks them from the conversation and soon Stefan enters along with the bane of his existance.

He couldn't help but watch Kevin rushing to his mate. And kissing him. Soon they fall into a conversation about his day. Kevin looks at Evan with so much love that his heart hurts.

He regrets it. He regrets staying back. His head is swimming, his throat dry as he grits his teeth.

Markian tries to include him in their conversation but Kevin he didn't even spares him a glance. He needed to get out of here. He gets up.

"Are you leaving ,Sebastian?" Evan asks

Sebastian freezes in his tracks.

The hot flush of humiliation ices down his spine.

"What does it matter to you?" He bites out. His voice cracks like firewood, ash in his mouth.

Stefan merely snorts. "It doesn't." " It won't matter to Evan but it would to Kev and Mark. Evan made dinner. Kevin would love it if you joined us?"

Sebastian hated his mate. Oh Goddess he wanted to strangle him.does He could kill him right now-he could

Stefan scoffs at his mate. Those eyes brimming with hate.

Kevin looked at his brother then at Sebastian. Markian looked like he wanted to be somewhere else. And Evan looked at them blankly.

Sebastian wanted to hit his mate

But he doesn't.

Instead he says, "Now that his mate is here. He will hardly notice if there's one member missing from the audience."

Kevin blushes "It's not like that Seb" He sputters. But his words falls on deaf ears

"You underestimate how much he thinks of you." Says Stefan, liquid bitterness flowing like an undercurrent beneath the words. Thinly veiled envy. He adds, "You, demand his attention and distracts him all the time ."

Sebastian's guts churn. He feels nauseous.

"You underestimating how much he thinks of you. Even now you are making him worried" And those are just the words he's been wanting to hear all day, aren't they? But they're untrue. They have to be, because if they weren't then Kevin would be right here next to him, he wouldn't mated that bastard Evan-

"'Demands his attention?'" Sebastian spits, black bile in his mouth. "I never did anything of the sort." He's slipping, dizzy unclear consciousness sliding down a dark and dank slopes tunnel. "The only one who demands anything that Demon-"

How cruel! Is poking fun at him is what makes Stefan happy?

Stefan swallows. But Sebastian doesn't seem to notice.

Silence hangs in the air, like the baggy dark clouds before a storm.

He's such an idiot.

All eyes were on him now. Markian Kevin and the Demon. Looking at him.

He should have suspected as much.

Sebastian doesn't want stick around to hear what Kevin has to say.

Stefan... are you happy? He thinks. Trying to expose his secret. He had tried so long to hide.

He feels betrayed. Kevin glared at him and quickly closed the distance between Evan and him. Hugging him. " You may be my Beta Sebastian,but I won't tolerate you badmouthing my mate in front of that to infront of me. " Kevin spoke. His voice hardened.

"Stefan was only joking Seb you know" Markian said with a nervous laugh. As he eyed Evan's whitened face.

Sebastian looked at Stefan. His face looked unreadable. Sebastian can't be bothered to stay; there is tar lodged in his throat, blocking his lungs.

Happy? Was Stefan happy now. His worthless mate. His vision blurs, eyes growing damp. Inwardly he curses. By the time he makes his way back out the door, tear streaks mares his face.

He stops. Stands alone in the field. Gasping. He had ran so far from the compound,

Shame burns him like ice, dripping liquid hot down his spine. He feels like throwing up, the last dredges of the previous night's sake knocking at his throat.

He lets himself. He heaves onto the grass, dry and painful. His trachea tears itself apart, the taste of acid vile on his tongue.

So what if the Pack knows he loves Kevin; It doesn't matter; something this small, this irrelevant, means little in the face of every other humiliation.
His parents are dead. Markian clearly didn't chase after him. And Stefan, his mate betrayed him. It didn't matter but Kevin he abandoned him too tossed him away like an old, rusted toy, no longer needed when got his mate.

He's so alone and it was all because of that Demon. Why he has to be Kevin's mate.

He hurts. As he cries. But if that's the case, then he will hurt too, Evan.