Chapter 19

Evan stared blankly at his hands, his fingers twisting and wringing at each other in order to keep his mind from descending into madness.

Heat built up under Evan's eyes, and he cursed violently as teardrops fell onto his twitching fingers. Evan swiped at his eyes, cheeks burning as he tried to decide who he was the most pissed at: Kevin or himself.

"I'm such a fuck up!" Evan snapped, punching at the air, almost unbalancing himself from the tree branch he was using to sit to be away from the source of his aggravation... wait, hatred, no... even that was too strong! But why shouldn't the word be strong?! Evan was pissed, miserable, and murderous! More importantly he was hurt.

Why did he ever think that he'd be allowed... to just be happy for once!

Evan let his head fall into his hands, fisting his hair until it was painful. He deserved the pain; he'd missed all the damn signs! How could he be this stupid! How could Kevin be that damn inhuman!

Evan let out a shaky breath, hollow laughter leaving his tear-stained lips. His chest ached, his heart as constricted as his throat. He just felt everything. The pulsing and trembling of his chest made everything feel too close, too real. Every fiber of his being buzzing with all his turbulent emotions, but then at the same time everything felt dead, distant. Like Kevin had stolen not only the life from his body but also his soul.

After a minute of silent contemplation, Evan took a few deep breaths allowing quiet hope to spark up for just a moment. Maybe he'd been wrong... Kevin hadn't precisely confirmed anything. Maybe... Maybe it wasn't true? There must be an explanation, maybe Evan should turn around and let Kevin explain himself-

What the hell was he thinking?!

What other explanation could there be? Kevin casually answered a question about him being his mate?! The man's plan was to kill him! No other scenario made sense, and no wishful thinking was going to change that.

It was all so obvious now as he replayed every second before the wedding. The way the wedding was suddenly held. The shock in Kevins features when they met for the first time in their wedding. The way Sebastian and other pack members had smirked darkly when they were introduced in the banquet after the wedding. The constant stares. All the time mocking at him for being so dumb!

... But Kevin hadn't been trying to kill him? Kevin had an abundance of chances to kill him, after all, so why hadn't he? He could have made it seem like an accident or rouge attack.

And more than that...he felt genuine love from Kevin?

"God, fuck, dam-damnit! I can't be this much of a sucker!" Evan snapped at himself, feeling the need to get up and move. His lips quivered, and a full-body tremble rolled over him. A small heart wrenched sob cracked into existence as the tremble stole his strength, seeping it all out of him. No he needed answers. He needed to go back. He can't run away

Evan landed on the ground with shoulders tight, stomping towards the his- no Kevin's house with his expression pinched. Anyone that saw him would instantly know he was not in the mood to be messed with.

Evan entered the house and kicked open the door to the bedroom. And turned his eyes to the jerk . Who was on the floor sobbing.

Kevin looked up to seen Evan. His breath hitched. Evan gave a smile significantly nastier than he meant it to be. "Why are you on the floor dear Mate? ."

Instantly Kevin stood up, a heartbreaking face directed at Evan. "That's not what I expected to see, drop the act now" Evan laughed snidely, kicking the door closed behind him

In the doorway stood Evan. His Evan.

But his face was devoid of emotion, his gaze unreadable; his eyes were red like he was crying just a moment ago. He never kept that facade up around Kevin; not anymore.

Which only meant that the walls Kevin worked so hard to bring down were slammed back in place and reinforced.

"Kevin, please explain to me," Evan started, voice steady "What was Sebastian saying?"

Kevin spluttered, trying to find the right words. He, who always had a reply or retort to anything, had no idea what to say at that moment.

"I-Evan, please, I didn't-" he stammered, trying to force his brain to work around the I can't lose him that was flashing in his mind.

"Kevin," Evan growled, obeyed. "I don't want to listen to your pathetic excuses that you're surely coming up with right now. That you love me now, that it was your elders' idea. Save your breath," he paused.

"Did you mean to kill me?"

Kevin closed his eyes, heart sinking. The admission fell out of his mouth, short and guilty. "I did."

"I live," Evan said, softly. "And I'm your mate."

"Yes," Kevin said because it was all he could say. "You are"

"I love my siblings so I won't make them worry. I won't say anything to them.I will lead the pack with you," Evan breathed, and there was a hitch to his voice. Almost unnoticeable if Kevin was not spellbound by everything Evan did. "But do not expect more from me. Do not touch me." Evan said. "I know I am a demon. You are not the first, and you will not be the last to call me so."

Evan's smile was sharp, and Kevin swallowed hard.

"Evan, you are not," Kevin blurted out. "I swear I do not think that now. I love you -"

"Don't make me laugh. You didn't want this."

"That was-"

"Before?" Evan scoffed, and Kevin could only look. Wonder what wounded expression laid on that face. "I will do my duties as your Luna, and not a thing more."

Something flashed across Evan's face, an expression. That of pain mixed with heartbreak; the things Kevin promised to never make Evan feel after hearing how badly mistreated he was by his Pack. How he was alienated and treated like a weapon, a bloodstained good luck charm.

Evan sniffled, and his mask of indifference clicked back in place.

Kevin slowly began walking towards his husband. His legs felt like jelly.

"At first, I thought I had to kill you to protect my brothers and pack. When Devon misunderstood about the deal. We changed it to restraining you. But it all changed on the wedding day, You were my mate. And all my life I have felt your pain. There was no way you you were a Demon. I was ashamed later I asked my pack to hide the issue and never bring it up again. Babe, please believe-"

"Do not call me that"Evan said, venomous wrath dripping from his voice. "As I said I will lead your pack by your side, and I will perform all the duties expected of me as the Luna of the Pack. But I do not want your soft touches or your sweet words, nothing. I don't want anything to do with you anymore."

Kevin's brain screamed at him to do something, to not let his mate believe all he felt for him was a lie. But he was stunned into silence, not daring to utter a single word.

"I gave my heart to you ," Evan said, his voice faltering under the weight of unshed tears. "And yet, you broke it, I don't really know what I should do anymore "