Chapter 24

Kevin could feel the room filling with bright light. But he refused to open his eyes and let go of the man who was in his arms. When the memories of last night came to him in a train of havoc disturbed his rarely serene wake anyway.

A whispered 'hey' from beside himself was all it took for Kevin to abruptly open his eyes wide and focus his entire senses on the audible breathing Evan was letting out and notice the raising and falling of the lean chest of the man he loved.

He then let out a relinquished sigh at his foolish absurdity, he had to get up. He had a pack to run. And there was also the matter of the rouges that were sighted near the clearings. Evan was asleep he had just muttered in his sleep. So Kevin carefully lifted his head and placed him on the pillow. Covering him with the quilt and kissed his forehead.

Then he got up on his feet after rubbing his temples to think of whatever could make him waste time on picking a garment to purposely be late for work, Kevin was particularly looking forward to spending more time with Evan.

He decided to take a quick shower to wash off the sweat he slept with. After he'd done his business and was fresh, hair wet, in a towel. He noticed his mate was not in the bed.

He quickly went out of the bedroom to the living room and spotted Evan waiting for him in their dining room with the aroma of the food roaming in the air, he felt his feet already leading him there,

"Get dressed Kevin, there is still time for the food to be prepared, I am just setting the table" Evan said with a hand on his hips. As he set the glasses and plates.

Kevin just smiled. His heart fluttering at the domestic feeling.

"Stop smiling to yourself. And why didn't you wake me up?" Evan asked.

"You looked tired so I let to sleep in" he said and ran towards his room. Giddy with excitement. Evan was making him food. It was a way better start than he expected.

"So now I am late, And I had to prepare breakfast without showering" Evan muttered displeased.

"Still you look so handsome" Kevin replied as his gaze turned intense "And it turns me on" he went on.

"Kevin I am making breakfast, stop flirting now " Evan stated as he made his way back to the kitchen.

"Sure, Sure babe , I am not stopping you , I just stated the fact maybe?" Kevin followed him.

"Kevin" the red eyes leveled his in a stern glare as Kevin stood beside him.

"... Yes, Babe?"

" Carry on, I can't stop you " Evan said as he chuckled.

"Babe, why didn't you tell anyone about this. Devon, Celine or Karina" Kevin kept his steady gaze and witnessing the other's waver, should he continue on with this when he knew Evan's discomfort at the mentioning of the incident, he still needed to know. "You could have told them!"

Evan his vision, taking quite a bit of time to answer if he was even to.

"... Do you want me to tell?" He questioned,red eyes staring at him

"No" was Kevin's immediate answer, he didn't think as hard as Evan did or perhaps didn't think at all, the word just came out of him fluently at the asked inquiry. Evan noticed the brilliant glint glistening in the other's eyes.

"Then I won't tell anyone, because I chose to trust you. We already had this discussion why are you bringing it up again. Do you want a punch." Evan hissed cleary annoyed.

"No baby no. Just wanted to discuss something!" Kevin said. Goddess his mate was fierce.

"What" Evan asked glaring. "I am going to talk with Sebastian, He is acting different. I think I don't really know about my friend as I thought I knew " Kevin laughed to himself but he was clearly stressed. The laugh didn't reach his eyes. He shook his head and went back to locking eyes with the one across him, "I am angry at him for messing with my mate" his smile turned warmer, " But it wasn't his fault. It was mine I am the Alpha, I am leading the pack. And if you didn't turn out to be my mate. Goddess knows what I would have done. I am so grateful to have you with me" his eyes turned ever so soft just as his smile did the same. "Besides, I am also grateful that the lie is out of the bag. There is no need for me to hide anything," Kevin's eyes wandered, "We have always heard about mutations in our bloodline. Some creatures that had mutated have banded together to form a group which wants to destroy everything that we have build to this date. As an Alpha I thought I was doing the right thing. I didn't know about you, and you are so strong that I thought that it's only a matter of time before you also scumb together with the other mutated miscreants. Sebastian also thought that way. He is an excellent Beta one could ask for. He always puts our pack first. He would gladly die for our pack." he beamed, but the shimmer in his eyes vanished and a dreadful frown found its way to his lips, "What only pains me is that he is being stubborn now. He doesn't understands you. And he isn't even trying. I learned it when I found you. But for him it's not that way. He still sees you as I saw you before. He isn't like Markian and others. He is closed off and hard headed. So please don't hate him " Kevin quietly murmured while his eyes dropped. The notice of him using 'pains' instead of 'pained' meaning he still couldn't get over what they'd done, and perhaps never will so as long as Evan made him remember each time he'll see him.

Dumbstruck was an understatement. Evan was able to behold the sorrow in his mate's eyes. He wanted nothing but to hug his mate. He understood everything that his mate wanted him to understand. They were just scared of the unknown. And Evan had done nothing till now to clear the misconception of their pack. It was also his fault.

"I understand Kevin," Evan whispered as he turned towards Kevin. He held his face and stood on his toes. Oh why was Kevin so tall. Evan himself was 5.11 but Kevin's 6.4 form made him concious of his height.
Evan pecked at his lips. There was nothing in the world he wouldn't do for his mate.
" I trust you , you will always have my support" he said as Kevin hugged him.
It was bliss.