Chapter 23

Lizzie POV
1 week later

The sound of banter chatter and the clinking of glasses fill the room and create a comfortable atmosphere in this noble restaurant we're currently eating at. The cast decided to spend a nice evening together since we are almost done filming and won't see each other that much again after we're done.
Of course, Y/N accompanied me. We didn't talk much after she beat Robbie up. She just came to work the next day and didn't lose a word about the incident. She didn't apologize again and not once did she try to fix whatever this was between us. She was simply professional. I mean that's exactly what I wanted, didn't I?
My eyes wander through the room, mustering everyone who sits at the table. My gaze lands on her. She stands next to the door and observes the scenery in front of her. Although she seems to be relaxed, I can see that she's tense, ready to intervene if she's needed. Our eyes meet and my heart stops for a moment. The corners of my lips tuck into a small smile. But she breaks the eye contact without any reaction and continues to have a look on everything that might be a possible danger. I try to return my focus to the people around me and join the conversation, but I just can't take my eyes off her.
Y/N has her hair in a high ponytail and wears a black suit with a low cut white blouse underneath. She is always in her uniform. Always! But today she has to wear that damn suit. God, she looks so hot.
I know that I made a mistake that night. All she did, all she ever wanted to do, was to protect me. I have no idea how the button was pressed but it happened. Her reaction was normal. I don't know why I got so mad.

"Lizzie, did you hear what I said?", Scarlett nudges my shoulder.

"Huh, what?", I take my eyes of Y/N and return my focus to the people around me.

"What's going on with you? Are you alright? You didn't say much the whole evening.", Florence says and looks at me worried.

"I- uh, it's complicated.", I respond shortly.

"Come on, you have to tell us something.", Scarlett pushes.

"Later maybe, but not here with that many people."

"Hmm okay, but anyway what's up with Y/N? She's always wearing that uniform – which is hot, don't get me wrong – but that suit? Damn, she looks really good!", Florence smirks, her eyes wandering over Y/N's body. I clench my jaw.

"I have to agree. Why isn't she sitting with us? We've always eaten together.", Scarlett remarks.

"We're not really on good terms at the moment.", I mumble.

"What? Why?", Florence asks and looks back to Y/N, who gives her a small smile.

Wow, when I look at her, I don't get any reaction at all.

I sigh. "It's complicated, okay? But we agreed to keep things professional."

"After you tried so hard to be her friend? That doesn't seem to be very logical.", Scarlett narrows her brows in confusion.

"Well, I-", I begin to explain but get interrupted when a little bell rings, as the door to the restaurant opens, announcing another guest.

"Hailee!", Florence cheers. "Come and sit with us!"

I watch as a beautiful woman enters the restaurant. She wears a red silk dress. Brown locks frame her face. Y/N helps her to take off her jacket. I can't hear what she says, but it makes Hailee laugh. She shakes her in head in amusement and touches Y/N's arm slightly. I hate this. Why the hell do they have to stand so close to each other? Hello Y/N, you have a job to do, so stop flirting with her. Y/N leans forward to whisper something in Hailee's ear, a smirk appears on both their faces, when she leans back.

"Are you okay? You seem a bit tense.", Scarlett asks me and pulls me out of stare.

"Yeah, sure.", I force a smile.

Hailee approaches our table and Florence gets up to greet her. She pulls her in for a long hug.

"Guys, this is Hailee. We worked together for Hawkeye. Hailee, this is Scarlett and this is Lizzie. You probably already know them.", Flo introduces us to each other.

"Hey, it's nice to meet you. Florence told us a lot about you.", Scarlett gives her a big smile.

"Oh, it is so cool to finally meet you! I literally watched all your movies. I'm a big fan of Natasha and Wanda. I mean you are like THE female superheroes everybody talks about at the moment and I feel honored to enter the MCU with Hawkeye as well."

Her energetic energy is giving me a headache but I smile through the pain and say: "Yeah, you did a pretty good job! How was it to work with Jeremy and Florence?"

Hailee rambles on about the job and just everything that came to her mind and honestly, I couldn't care less.  Scarlett and Florence though were pretty interested in everything she had to say and they soon fall in a deep conversation.
I zone out again and my gaze shifts once more to Y/N. I wish I could understand what it is about her that I just can't take my eyes off her. Whenever she's around she seems to pull me in. She's all that matters in those moments and it drives me crazy. I shouldn't feel this. I have Robbie. And he is stability and safety. There shouldn't be room in my head to think about someone else.

"Lizzie?"

"Huh?", I ask.

"You zoned out again.", Scarlett chuckles. "We are about to leave. Are you coming?"

I realize that half of the cast is already gone. Some of them are still standing around the table to say goodbye, the others are already out of the door. I catch a glimpse of Hailee's red dress as she leaves the restaurant. Her hand grazes Y/N's softly as she gives something to her.

I clear my throat. "Yeah, yeah I'm coming."

---

The car ride back home is uncomfortable silent. Y/N's eyes are glued to the road in front of her. Not once shifts her gaze to me.

"Did you have a nice evening, Ms. Olsen?", Y/N breaks the silence.

Why does she have to say my name like that? Like she always said it that way. Emotionless. Like we've never been friends, we've never kissed and we've always been strangers. I wanted that, I remind myself. Although I've never thought that it would be the easiest thing in the world for her to forget everything we had. Why does it have to hurt so bad?

"It was nice. I had a lot of fun.", I lie. "What about you?"

She only hums as a response.

"Do you know Ms. Steinfeld? I saw that she sat with you at the table. Although you didn't seem to be very ... present."

I swallow. So, she did keep an eye on me. Must have been in those few seconds, I didn't look at her. But the mention of Hailee makes me clench my jaw. Why is she so interested in her?

"No, I don't really know her. Today was the first time I met her. Why? Do you want to be her bodyguard too? Are you looking for a new job?", I joke trying to lighten the mood.

"Not yet."

My heart sinks at her short response. The last thing I want is that she leaves. I open my mouth to say something, but nothing comes out, so I close it again and endure the almost unbearable silence for the rest of the ride.

---

I come home to an empty house. It's something I'm used to. I lived alone for a long time. But today I feel lonely. Robbie is out with his band, but it is not his presence that I crave. I didn't think I would be so affected by the decisions that I made, although I have no right to swell in self-pity. I chose to push her away. I chose the safest option. And I won't forget y/n's hurt expression when I told her to leave and come back as a stranger. Why was it so easy for her though?
A single tear escaped the corner of my eye and rolled down my cheek.
I have to call her. I have to make things right. With shaking hands, I grab my phone and dial her number, praying that she'll pick up.

"Hello?"

"y/n?", my voice is hopeful as I suppress a sob. "I need to talk to you."

"Are you okay?", she sounds concerned. "Are you in danger? Do you need my help?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. Uhm, I-"

"Who are you talking to?", I hear someone ask her.

She's not alone. It's in the middle of the night and she's with someone. My heart sinks.

"Shh, it's my boss. Wait a second!", y/n hushes her down.

"Hmm, I'd rather kiss you.", I hear the other voice. Hailee's voice.

My stomach twists. I feel like I need to throw up.

y/n chuckles before she talks to me again: "If it isn't an emergency, I'll talk to you tomorrow. Is that alright, Ms. Olsen?"

"Sure.", I choke out.

"Okay, goodnight.", she says softly.

"Goodnight."

I feel empty when I hang up the phone. I don't even know why I feel like this. Scarlett and Florence always teased me about y/n and me being more than friends. But I've never seriously thought about it. I just really liked to be around her. Though when I kissed her, I knew that I never wanted to be just her friend. It just seemed to be so complicated and with Robbie, everything is easy. But y/n is with someone else now. And I have to distract myself. So, I'm going to spend as much time as possible with Robbie these next few weeks.

Hey guys, sorry for letting you wait. I'm not really happy with this chapter, but here it is anyway. If you have any suggestions for the next chapters, let me know.
Have good day!