Chapter 32

Y/N POV

It is 8 pm when you hear a gentle knock. Lizzie sleeps peacefully in your arms. She fell asleep after the talk you had and hasn't woken up since. She scrunches her nose from time to time and mumbles things you don't really understand. She must be dreaming.

"Come in.", you call quietly, trying not to wake her up.

The door opens a crack and Hailee peaks in.

"Heyy.", she says cheerfully. "I'm so sorry for just coming now. When Kara told us that you're awake, I wanted to see you immediately but she said I should give you a bit time to figure some things out."

"Hey Hailee, it's so good to see you.", you greet her with a warm smile.

She walks up to you with fast large steps, eager to check up on you, but she hesitates as soon as she sees Lizzie right next to you.

"Is it a bad timing? Should I come tomorrow?", Hailee asks you.

"Uhm, no. No, please stay. I'm really happy to see you.", you assure her.

"I- uh – I", Hailee begins but interrupts herself.

Tears glimmer in her warm brown eyes as she tries to find the words her mind wants her so desperately to say.

"God, I've been so worried about you. But you're alive. You caught that bullet for her and I thought I've been watching you dying but here you are. And this is all so weird with her right next to you.", she rambles.

"We can talk somewhere in private. I don't think that Lizzie wakes up in the next hours, she sleeps pretty deepily. Could you get me a wheelchair while I try to free myself?", you say earning a chuckle from her.

"Of course, give me a minute."

Hailee gets up and leaves while you try to get you of bed. Careful not to wake her, you remove Lizzie's arm from your upper body and roll her off of you. You take the blanket and tuck her back in, making sure that she's comfortable. Then you pull yourself up and dangle your legs over the edge of the bed. Only a minute later Hailee arrives with the wheelchair.
She helps you out of the bed and in the chair and then pushes you quietly out of the room.

"Where do you wanna go?", she asks as soon as she closed the door behind you.

"I think there's a little park in front of the hospital. Let's go there. I haven't been outside the whole day.", you suggest.

"Alright, off to the park we go!", she says cheerfully and you laugh as she picks up speed.

Your laughter fills the corridors of the hospital as Hailee practically runs with you through the building, almost crashing into a wall as she takes a turn too fast. Twice. You've always loved that about Hailee. Everything is so light and easy around her.

You finally get through the big double doors at the front of the hospital – not without getting a few glares from the hospital stuff. After all you should've been quiet and slow instead of running loudly.

"Here, is that a good place?", Hailee asks as she stops.

A little pond is right in front of you. Its green water shimmers in the bright light of the full moon. A few ducks are sleeping on the bridge that goes over the pond, which is surrounded by dark wooden park benches.

"Yeah, it's perfect.", you reply.

Hailee takes a seat next to you on one of the benches and while you stare at the silver glimmer in the water, you feel her gaze on you. You turn your head to look at her.

"What's on your mind?", you ask.

"You've told me that you'll see me later. These words were replaying in my head over and over. All I could think about was that I did not see you later. You broke your promise and I was so mad at you. It all happened so fast. I heard you shouting her name and then the shot. And then suddenly you were laying in her arms with so much blood all over you.", Hailee takes a shaky breath.