Saviors

Jake's POV:

I wake up at a campsite. Arie is sitting talking to those kids we met earlier. Foxete is lying down next to me. She looks beaten to all hell.
"She, uh, fought most of those zombies." The boy walks up to me, "She'll be fine, I think."
"Alright, you guys look fine, did you not help?" I scoff.
"We didn't really help until it was too late. We saved your lives at least." He sighs, "Sorry, I'll leave you be."
He gets up and walks away. Fox wakes up a second later, but when she tries to get up, she winces and falls back down.
"Hey, hey, relax, it's okay." I kneel over next to her.
"Are you and Arie okay?" She coughs.
"Yeah, we're okay." Arie comes over, "Illoha and Dex are trying to find us now."
"And Melenee and Zeon?" She asks.
"We're still here." The girl, I assume Melenee states, "We saved you guys from being eaten."
"Oh fabulous." Fox rolls her eyes, "You we're going to leave us for dead at first."
"But we didn't." The boy, Zeon gives us a small smile.
"Alright, whatever, help me sit up." Fox scoffs.
I help her sit up despite her wincing.
"You probably broke a rib or two." I sigh.
"I kinda wish I just hit that tree back there." She chuckles.
Arie and I laugh.
"Hello?" Foxete's signal tuner turns on, it's Keori.
Arie answers it, "Hey Keori, where are you guys?"
"We're landing in a clearing." She explains, "Do you guys have a flare?"
"No, but I can launch a bomb into the sky." Fox grins.
"Actually, that'll work." Keori shrugs.
"I was joking, but okay." Fox laughs, "Jake, my bag, you'll see a red smoke grenade. Take out the slingshot. Pull the pin on the grenade and launch it into the sky. You'll have 3 seconds."
I do as instructed, and launch the grenade into the sky. I launch it straight up.
"What comes up must come down, Jake." Fox rolls her eyes, "It's gonna fall down on us!"
"We see you!" Keori grins, "See you soon!" She ends the call.
Zeon carries my and Jake's bag while Jake helps me to the ship. We load everything into the ship. Illoha rushes towards us.
"Introductions later, med-bay now." She commands.
I help Fox into the med-bay and sit her down on a bed.
"Are you the new Acron or something?" Illoha rolls her eyes and makes us all sit down. She turns to the kids, "Alright, you two. Names?"
The two of them look at each other, but don't say anything.
"Melenee and Zeon. They're 15. They were experimented on by Freddy for their whole lives. They lack literally every nutrient." Fox explains.
"Alright, sit on the chairs, I'll do a check up." Illoha sighs, "Jake and Arie, are you okay?"
"Yeah." Arie nods.
"Great, go shower, then find Ophelia. Do not touch anything!" Illoha opens the door for her.
"Same for me?" I ask.
"Yes." She nods, "Find Lexi and Damien. Again, do not touch anything."
"Got it." I sigh, "There we're some sort of zombies. They had a dormant virus. It shouldn't have spread, but maybe check all of us for it after we shower?"
"Will do, thanks Jake." She smiles and closes the door behind me as I leave.
That was certainly an experience I don't ever want to relive.

(575 words)