The Future

Illoha's POV:

    How do I phrase this? I don't want to hurt her, but this is inevitable. I can't have both, being governor or Fox. My people or my girlfriend. I look in her eyes. She knows this won't end well. She always does. She looks defeated before the discussion even begins.
"Let me guess, you realized that your father will never let you rule with me by your side?" Fox sighs, "Am I close?"
I nod silently. I haven't figured out a way to phrase it.
"And you choose to rule." Fox states bluntly.
I hold my breath and barely squeak out a, "Yes."
She ponders this for a moment.
"It's okay." She sighs, "I knew it would happen, Princess."
No yelling? No anger? She just looks... calm.
"I'm not angry, Illoha." She shakes her head, "You've wanted this your whole life. I just came into it. I understand."
"How could you not be upset?" I question.
"I never said I wasn't. I said I understood." She sighs, "Of course I'm upset! I'd choose you over the world any day, but we're different."
"So, what do we do now?" I ask.
"Up to you." She shrugs, "Break it off, or we continue dating until this whole war thing ends."
"And after that?" I ask.
She says silent for a few seconds. "I guess I never thought about it much."
"Future seemed pretty bleak, huh?" I chuckled.
"Originally, I would've said I'd leave with Bonnie, but under more recent circumstances.." her voice trails off.
"You'd stay." I nod.
"For Ru." She smiles sadly, "Even for you, if you change your mind."
"I wish I could, but I'm the only heir." I sigh.
"Is it what you want, Princess?" She asks.
"I don't know anything different." I nod.
"Then do what makes you happy. I can't dictate that." She smiles, "I love you, and as long as you know that, it's okay for you to do what makes you happy."
"Alright." I hold back tears. Why couldn't she just have gotten mad at me? This makes it so much harder.
She hugs me, "Don't cry. The war isn't over. We still need to win. This isn't goodbye."
"I love you, Fox." I whisper.
"I know." She sighs.
Our futures are just two giant messes.

Happy Christmas to everyone who is celebrating :)

(385 words)