Honest Feelings

Foxete's POV:

I slept on the couch. "Slept" isn't an appropriate term. The term I'm looking for is something more of "I-stayed-up-all-night-overthinking-and-believing-that-my-girlfriend-hated-me". That stupid newspaper article lies next to me on the floor. I pick up my jacket that Acron gave me. Keeva finally convinced me to take off my armor, so I was just wearing a Rolling Stones t-shirt underneath the jacket. Otso was able to leave this on my bed, but I haven't seen him in a long time, I miss him.
I'll never admit to that though.
    To be honest, I've been avoiding the topic of a Evon civilization still out there with the others. Even talking about it with Illoha hurts my head. I want her to be happy, but at the same time, I know if there really is a civilization out there, she won't leave. She'll stay there and become a 'governor' like she's always wanted.
    Now, that sounds fantastic that she'll be happy, but it also means I loose her. I'm was not welcomed on Keekos, so why would it be different there? If I was to go with her and stay on the new settlement, I wouldn't be happy. This crew is my family now, a real family. The thought breaks my heart. I sit up from the couch and walk to the bathroom. I realized that a signal tuner was in there on the sink. I check the date: September 17th, 5:00 AM.
Great, it really was Illoha's birthday, and I missed it!
I let out a very audible groan. And lean on the sides of the sink. I look up into the mirror. I look like a complete mess.
Take a deep breath.
Count to 10.
    I stand up and brush my hair with my hairbrush, which is in the bathroom. When I look back, I look more put together. I definitely got skinnier, which I didn't think was possible. I looked weak. I ball my hands into fists. A small voice in my head responds to my thoughts; Go spar with Foxy! I almost listen, but then I remember that he isn't here. I look back into the mirror. I sigh and walk back outside. I head to the kitchen in hopes that someone is in there. I was right. Ru sat at the table with Jake putting on a show flipping pancakes. I can't help but smile at Ru's happiness. Jake had started taking care of Ru like he was his own son. It helps, even though I promised I would take care of him, I can barely take care of myself. I smile and walk into the kitchen.
"Mornin'!" I ruffle Ru's hair and he giggles.
"Heyo!" Jake smiles, placing the pancakes on a plate and serving them to Ru.
"How many of those have you had mister?" I raise my eyebrows.
He smiles mischievously and giggles.
"You can have as many as you want as long as Illoha doesn't find out." I laugh, "She'll kill me."
Jake plates a pancake and places it in front of me, "Eat."
I stare at it, "Not hungry, but thanks." I smile.
He turns around and crosses his arms. Classic mom look.
"Fine, one pancake." I sigh and begin cutting it up.
Jake smiles, satisfied.
What would I do without him?

Illoha's POV:

I wake up and check my signal tuner; 6:00 AM. I yawn and roll out of bed. I get dressed and leave the room. I walk to the kitchen and I see Fox, Dex, and Jake laughing. My darling girlfriend forgot my birthday yesterday, so I made her sleep one the couch. Fair, right? She looks like she got no sleep, but then again, she never looks like she got any sleep. I walk in and greet everyone. Fox's eyes immediately dart to mine as I enter. I recognize the look on her face almost instantly, guilt. She looks down. She thinks I'm mad about yesterday still. I mean, yeah, I guess it's upsetting for your girlfriend to forget your birthday, but she's been through hell and back the past few months. I don't blame her for forgetting a birthday. I walk over to her and pick her head back up, kiss her, and sit next to her. Dex just smiles smugly. Fox sits back up, flustered, Jake starts laughing quietly to the side.
"How long have you guys been dating for?" He asks.
"Uhh...." Fox hesitates, "...6 months?"
I nod, "Yeah, about that long."
Jake just shakes his head.
"What?" Fox crosses her arms.
"You act like a moody teenager." Dex rolls his eyes.
"She is a moody teenager." Jake jokes.
"Oi!" Fox pouts.
I just laugh. I'm glad Dex and Fox ended up getting along. From them hating each other to them being friends is an improvement. I can tell that something is off with her still. She's distant, her thoughts are elsewhere, so I read her mind.
"How could I do that to her?" Her thoughts play out in my head.
She stops thinking.
"Stop reading my mind." She says quietly so that only I can hear her. She turns to face me.
"How can you tell?" I ask. Nobody is ever able to tell.
She mutters quietly, "I know when people are invading my mind, Princess. I have experience with that."
I'll leave them ominous comment on the back burner.
Dex and Jake continue their conversation, unaware that we said anything.
Fox gets up to leave, "I'll talk to you guys later. I'll be in the workshop."
I obviously follow her.
Why isn't she teleporting around?

Foxete's POV:

Like I said before, I haven't been able to teleport. It just doesn't work. I must have exhausted myself. I'm very aware that my girlfriend is following me, but I am electing to ignore it so that she thinks she's being sneaky. She continues following me all the way until I reach my workshop.
She finally emerges, "Why aren't you teleporting? Isn't it faster?"
I sigh, "Yeah, it is. I just don't feel like teleporting." I lie.
"Don't lie. Are you okay?" She asks.
I hesitate, "No, my ability to teleport, or do anything fighting wise for that matter, doesn't work. I'm extremely weak.
She chuckles, "You're exhausted. Take a break." Her smile is friendly, nothing fake about it.
"I'm not tired though." Another lie, but oh well.
"I don't mean physically, I mean mentally. You never really had time to process your grief." She shakes her head.
"I had plenty of time." I snap back. I don't know where this aggression came from, and I don't really like it.
My ears droop down.
"Go to bed, relax, tinker with your scrap metal. Just... find a way to calm your mind." She grabs my hand.
I sigh, "Alright." I give her a kiss on the cheek and walk back upstairs. Right as I'm passing the kitchen, Illoha stops me.
"If there is a Evon Settlement, I won't just leave you." She gives me a sad smile, "I won't give up on this war until we win."
I smile back and nod. She lets go of my hand and I walk back up to my room.
If it came down to it, would she really stay with me?

(1230 words)