Illoha's Birthday

Foxete's POV:

    It's been about a little more than a week since our mission. Despite the minor bruising and weakness, I'm doing great. If I'm honest, I have no idea what day, month, or year it is. I have no concept of time. I get dressed in my room and go downstairs to the kitchen.
"Morning, Princess." I smile and I sit next to Illoha on one of the barstools at the island. They had to be bolted down due to our constant movement, same with most of the furniture. Illoha looks down for some reason. I attempt to meet her face, but she's staring at news article on the computer.
"What's that?" I ask. She hands the laptop to me.
"Freddy Fazbear officially wipes out the remainder of the Evon race." The headline I read.
"Load of crap." I snort, "You're sitting next to me."
Illoha frowns and looks up at me. I notice she has tears in her eyes.
"Illoha, we're you, crying?" I ask.
"I had hope." She chuckles sadly, "Hope that maybe my father survived."
So did I. Not for his sake, but yours.
"We knew about the planet, that doesn't mean that there aren't other settlements." I try to reassure her.
"You're not understanding! My people are scattered! I can never lead!" She sighs and stands up, "You just don't get it."
Is that so bad? Is not being a royal so bad? I swallow my pride. This is not the time to argue.
"Listen, I understand. I had my life ripped away from me as well." I spin around on the chair to face her.
"Did you have your whole life planned out?" She chuckles.
"No, but I had a life." I sigh, "Besides the point, we grieved the loss of your home a year and a half ago. Why grieve again?"
"Fox, what day is it?" She asks.
"No clue." I shake my head.
"My birthday. It's my birthday." She whispers.
A year? Officially a year?
"Happy Birthday." I nod, "I'm confused-"
She threw her arms up and storms out of the room
What the hell just happened?
"Women." Dex shakes his head disapprovingly.
"Did you catch any of that?" I ask.
"Dead Dad, birthday." He chuckles, "That's 'bout it."
"Glad we're on the same page." I sigh and turn back to the counter, Dex sits next to me.
"You got her a birthday present?" Dex asks.
"Oh yeah Dex, my bad. Just fabricated one out of thin air." I roll my eyes, "We're in the void of space!"
He laughs, "You're right, you're right."
I shake my head, "I guess I could try and just talk to her?"
Dex shrugs, "Good luck. I'll make sure you don't look stupid at 'ur funeral."
"Thanks so much man." I stand up and roll my eyes again.
I leave the room me begin walking to Illoha and my room. I assume Illoha would be in there. I would normally have teleported, but for some reason, I haven't been able to to that since Valimire. I arrive at the room and knock on the door.
"Illoha? Are you in there?" I ask.
She opens the door, her head is down, "Yes."
"Listen, I'm sorry about... earlier. I get that you're upset and that it's your birthday." I sigh.
"Don't, just... don't." She scoffs.
How am I meant to understand your emotions when I can barely process mine.
"Illoha..." I sigh, "I'm sorry, I really am, I'm sorry I forgot your birthday." I bite the inside of my cheek, "If you're upset about that, I can try and make you a cake? We both know I can't cook..." I try to lighten the mood.
She chuckles sadly, "Yeah, you're a real bad cook."
She finally looks up at me.
"Could you just... leave me alone for a bit?" She asks.
I nod, "Of course..." I hesitate to call her Princess, after all, that might be why she's upset. She isn't a Princess after all.
Should I stop calling her that?
Before I could stop myself I blurt out, "One more thing!"
She stops just as she's about to close the door.
I want to slap myself, "Do you mind that I call you Princess?" I mumble.
She looks at me confused, so I repeat my question.
She rolls her eyes, "No, I don't mind. It was annoying at first, but it's... cute... now."
She smiles and closes the door.
I'm still getting mixed signals.
I sigh and walk back down the hallway.
I need a book on how to balance being a good girlfriend, a mother, and a captain at the same time.

(780 words)