chapter nine!

chapter nine! the photo album

───   ✽  ───

"I found this in Mom's room,"
Rory announced, rushing back into the dining room and placing the slightly dusty photo album in between her grandparents.

"What's that?" Thea peered over, before pushing herself out of her chair and moving to her grandfather's side.

"Pictures,"

"Oh my goodness," Emily smiled, opening up the photo album her eyes raking over the pictures laid out in front of her, "I haven't seen these in years."

Thea pushed herself out of her seat, moving over to her grandfather's side and leaning over Rory's shoulder to catch sight of the photo album that had been placed on the table, "That's one fluffy white dress."

"Yes, there was twelve petticoats underneath it. We got it in London, remember, Richard?" Emily promoted her husband, to receive a swift nod from Richard.

"She looks like a little princess,"

"Yes, well, if memory serves, I believe about two minutes after that picture was taken, her highness dumped a glass of grape juice all over it," Emily softly grumbled, looking up at her granddaughters.

"Look, Emily," Richard pointed at a black and white picture of a young woman, "it's Hopie."

"Hopie?" Rory asked, confused by her grandfather's statement.

"Grandma's sister," Thea quickly explained, before returning to examine the picture of her great aunt.

"Has she ever been here when I was here? I don't remember her," Rory furrowed, looking over the picture once more in hope of remembering the woman.

"Oh, she lives in Paris, our great expatriate," Richard explained to his eldest granddaughter, "Thea spent part of last summer with her, did wonders for her."

"Oh, my, Hopie, look at you. I haven't seen her in such a long time," Emily smiled fondly, a sad glint flooding her eyes.

"Maybe we should take a trip this year," Richard suggested, receiving an encouraging nod from Emily, "The girls could go with us."

"I'll start packing tomorrow," Rory joked.

A familiar picture caught Thea's gaze, a smile spreading across her lips as she took it in, "It's your wedding picture, Grandma. I've always loved that dress."

"It should have been. My mother had three seamstresses working around the clock making it," Emily explained, her eyes taking in her wedding dress once more.

"Do you still have it?" Rory asked.

"It's upstairs packed away somewhere. I'll save it for you if you like. It would look wonderful on you, Thea, you used to look so cute in it when you were younger," Emily smiled, the thought of her youngest granddaughter wearing her wedding dress spread a warm feeling through her.

"Oh, Emily, the girls are too young to be thinking about things like that," Richard scolded.

"Oh, Richard, please. Every young girl thinks about her wedding, I know I did and Thea did, she was always playing pretend wedding with that Alexander. I knew from the time I was twelve that I wanted lilies and orchids with a silver bow wrapped around them for my bouquet," Emily listed off, smiling at the memory of her childhood and her granddaughter's.

"You also knew that you wanted to marry Erol Flynn," Richard teased, a knowing smirk crossing his features.

"Really? Grandma had a thing for the pirate guy?" Thea asked, a soft giggle falling from her lips.

"I did not have a thing for the pirate guy,"

"She was mad about him. She even tried to get me to grow one of those little mustaches," Richard continued to tease, a light blush covering Emily's cheek.

"Richard stop," Emily pleaded.

"She wanted me to swing from a chandelier,"

"Oh, now you're just being silly," Emily grumbled, shaking her head at her husband.

"Luckily I was on the fencing team in college or I would have married Lucinda Lester by now," Richard added, a loving smile forming as he looked up at his wife and granddaughters.

"Actually, Lucinda Lester looked a lot like Erol Flynn. I should've married her, it would've been very modern of me," Emily joked, bringing a stop to the nonsense as she turned the page of the photo album.

"Whow," Rory smiled, her eyes fallowing lovingly on the picture of her teenaged-mother in a white gown, "Mom looks really beautiful here."

"That was her dubutante gown for her coming out party," Emily explained, her smile falling as she saw the picture.

"Mom had a coming out party?" Rory asked confused, she had never heard about this from her mother.

"No she didn't," Richard snapped.

"Oh,"

"Yes, well, things happen don't they," Emily sighed, forcing a fake smile onto her face.

"Excuse me, I have some business calls to make," Richard lied, dissming himself from the table and retriting to his office.

"I'll go get that coffee,"