13 - All worth it

TRIGGER WARNINGS:
EXPLICIT LANGUAGE
SWEARING
VIOLENCE/GUN VIOLENCE
SMOKING/ALCOHOL
BLOOD/DEATH/GORE

TRIGGER WARNINGS:EXPLICIT LANGUAGE SWEARING VIOLENCE/GUN VIOLENCE SMOKING/ALCOHOL BLOOD/DEATH/GORE

Lira was getting married and I couldn't be more happier. It was my job - no my duty, to take care of her. From the day she was born, I felt nothing but love for her. When she grew up, it was always me and her. She was a very vivacious girl and would follow me everywhere. So I taught her everything I knew. Father, when he wasn't a drunk, taught me how to run the mafia. Who to talk to. What to do and how. That's the only decent thing he had done for me. He taught me how to be a Don.

When I was sixteen, I noticed mother acting strange. She seemed happier when she looked at her phone, she went out to places on her own. I found out that she went to hotels. It didn't take me long to figure it out. She was having an affair with another man. While she loved father, she danced with another man. I tried to keep it away from Lira. She was so young and didn't know what was going on. She didn't know why her mother didn't want to spend time with her anymore. She told me she thought it was because she was naughty but she never was. And I could never break her heart.

Shortly after, father, I suspected he had found out and that's why he reached for the alcohol. Also the fact that he was losing control of the mafia due to him being an unlikeable man. He drank and drank. Every night it was the same story. Then he started to get violent. He started to yell and then he started to hit mother. If I interfered, he would hit me and threaten to hurt Lira so I couldn't do anything.

I begged mother to take us and leave. But she wouldn't listen and she continued to fuck that man. Countless times I wanted to strangle him but I didn't because it would only drive her away from us. I tried to shield Lira from it all but she knew. Then one night mother ran away, leaving us behind, I knew that no one could protect us, no one could protect Lira but me. When father found out that mother had left, he was furious. He was so drunk, he could barely walk right. I didn't care when he struck me with his belt and when he beat me. But when he stormed off towards Lira's room, I picked myself off the ground and stopped him. No one would touch her.

It didn't feel good to beat your own father and to toss him to the streets but that's what I did. I remember the next day so clearly. Lira came down to see me bruised and solemn. When she called for mother, I had to tell her what had happened and my heart broke. She was only ten years old and her mother had left her. She didn't love her enough to stay. She didn't care much about father, especially when I told her he was the one who beat me. She only rubbed my tears away and I know that on that day her heart also broke.

It took me years but I made our mafia great. I made it feared and formidable. I raised Lira up, making her take her place beside me. She wanted to be strong but she always was. So now that I see her laughing and smiling, it makes everything worth it. She deserves everything, even when I don't. I suppose I feel like a father giving away their child. And I would be giving her to Vicenzo.

Lira always brought home men, some of which were stupid and some who were assholes. I never liked any of them. But when she told me she liked Vicenzo, I was amused. Not even shocked. I didn't think they would actually work out but now they're getting married. I couldn't ask for a better brother in law. Of course I would walk her down the aisle. She didn't even have to ask. I felt honored to.