spy 2-sfk

I started working again and I start school again soon. It's weird because I always get so many good ideas during the school year, but I don't have time to expand. Then it's the opposite when I'm on break. Either way, enjoy :-).

Word Count: 3015

It had been three days in the debacle with the car. The twins had been chewed out, grounded until the semi-distant future, or at least until they could afford a new car. Sam listened from the stairs, fearing that they would put the blame on you. Instead, they stayed tight lipped, taking the punishment without an issue. After talking it over, the three brothers decided to keep it a secret. Despite the burn marks on the passenger side of the car, no one questioned that it was a spin out from the ice. Sam had spotted identical burn marks on the street while waiting for the tow truck and his parents. Josh was shaken up, unable to sleep some nights. As the oldest, he felt like he was responsible for his siblings and the feeling doubled when he drove. Jake was the most upset. He had many fond memories in that car. Not only that, but his nose wasn't broken, it just occasionally throbbed like it was. Ronnie noticed her brothers acting funny. They were quiet and almost... sad. She didn't mention your sudden absence. She assumed there had been an argument or a fight, except it wasn't you against them.

No one had heard from you since you ran, a pit of worry growing in Sam's stomach as time went on.

Josh noticed his worry, concerned for his younger brother. Even while away at college, Josh's mind was always on the younger boy. In two weeks all four siblings were under the same roof again, the three of them still in the same state of despair.

Sam had stopped eating more than a few bites at dinner, leaving his plates almost untouched. Danny took notice as well, considering talking to his parents about it. At school, he was slipping, walking through the halls in a haze. After school, Josh took him out for milkshakes, thinking he would be able to get him to open. But instead, he asked to make a stop on the way home. Sam knocked on the door of the house they'd always dropped you off. The large home was a new build, part of the new neighborhoods. Josh parked behind the closed gate.

"No," the man said. "Y/N doesn't live here."

Sam shook his head. "I'm sorry for wasting your time."

They'd had never actually seen her go into the house. Instead, she stopped at the mailbox, reading the envelopes until they drove away. Other times, she would go to the front door, pat her pockets then go around to the back door. Of course. Back in the car, Josh asked why he hadn't gone in.

"She doesn't actually live here," Sam muttered, trying to think of an explanation. Josh grilled his brother as if he knew the answers.

Despite having been intimately close with you, he feels like he knows nothing about you. After years of being partners in crime, Sam had a right to be angry.

He never stopped thinking about you. He left texts and voicemails. After never getting a response, he would leave emails in your inbox. Just like before, it was nothing but radio silence. The anger and resentment passed and instead, he fell into a funk. It was during this time that Jake noticed. With the twins home for Spring Break, they noticed that their younger brother was different.

Sam never sat in the red chair you used when you came over, and he ever let anyone sit in it either. Without telling anyone, he always expected you to come back. Sam always hoped you'd come back, and he would wake up with you sitting there with a bowl of cereal watching TV silently like so many times before. When he finally turned 18, he 'accidentally' miscounted the number of guests and set an extra seat, praying that you'd waltz in and join the family without skipping a beat. You'd promised to go with him to buy his first carton of cigarettes instead of stealing from his older brothers. During spring break, he dropped out of the school sanctioned trip to New York, having been talked into going because he'd be with you. By graduation, he had one last sliver of hope left and he was riding it. During the practice run, there had been an extra chair set up for you, your name taped to the back. During the actual ceremony, the chair was gone. It was like your entire existence had been a figment of his imagination.