broken bond-sfk

Warning: cheating, child birth

"Are you serious? I didn't cheat on you!" Sam cried, pacing back and forth. He was doing everything in his power to convince you.

Part of you believed him. You wanted to think it was the baby telling you to trust his dad. But you saw the photos, you read the stories, and it did not look like he and that girl were 'just friendly'.

"Are you serious?" You asked.

"Why don't you believe me?" He cried.

The pictures haunted you for three days. You didn't want to stay anything while he was away, but being on maternity leave, you had nothing but time to think. The picture was of Sam, standing outside of a bar. He had an arm around a woman's shoulder, his hand lazily on her breast. There were a few more of his nuzzling his nose into her face and smiling. Sam claimed it was loud, so he was only getting close so he could hear her better. He also said that the angle of the paparazzi camera made his hand look like it was much closer that it really was.

"I don't know, Sam. You're jetting off to different cities and meeting new people every night while I'm here at home. Doing what? Growing your child!" You pointed at him to make your point even clearer

Sam huffed. He clasped his fingers together and held them behind his neck, something he did when he was stressed.

There was nothing but silence. You could barely lift yourself from the couch without help anymore. While you needed him to help you move around, he'd been gone for the last three weeks. You were on the verge of labor and he left. If you could do it alone then, you could do it now.

"Can you leave?"

In all honesty, kicking him out was cruel, but you couldn't look at him anymore. Sam looked close to tears when he realized he'd heard you correctly. He didn't fight you anymore. Instead, he grabbed his jacket from the couch and his shoes from beside the door. With a final sad look and a flash of his puppy dog eyes, he left.

The next morning felt normal. You wanted to believe that you were going to cry and Sam would come running. Yet, it felt like any other time when Sam was gone. It had become normal. Waking up alone, having breakfast alone, and then spending the day. Every time the baby kicked or you felt a pain, you would reach for the nearest thing. While you wished it was Sam, it was usually a wall or the couch's armrest. You followed your routine, making yourself a breakfast for one before settling into the couch. Your nesting phase passed, expecting the arrival of your son much earlier. Now, you we're just... waiting.

Everything had been set up. Your friends had come over to help finish assembling everything. You'd sent photos to Sam. Instead of a phone call or even a paragraph of his thoughts, he sent back emojis.

After lunch, you decided to shower. While washing yourself, something felt off. There had been a different sound, clashing against the gurgle emitting from the drain. You got out, getting somewhat dressed in a bra and robe, forgoing underwear. You took a feel around, unable to see yourself. You gasped when you felt it. While you probably should have gone to the hospital, you called someone instead.

You prayed for him to answer, hoping he'd be nearby.

"Josh?" You groaned. "I need you to come over, now."

"What?"

"Now!"

Your phone clattered to the floor as you gripped the bathroom counter. The pain felt like a shockwave, your entire body feelings like one big cramp. You wobbled out of the bathroom, hoping to make it to the front door to unlock it. Instead, you used the wall to support your weight, crying and screaming. The door swung open. Sam must have given them all keys in case of emergencies. Even though you were still pissed, you were thankful.

"Over here!" You shouted, as if the other noises coming from your mouth were untraceable.

"What's wrong?" He asked, seeing you in the hallway. Josh ran to your side, one hand on your back and his other in your palm.

"I think I'm in labor."

Josh began to panic. "Where's your hospital bag? We can make it if I drive. Do you want me to call and ambulance?"

You shook your head. "They won't make it in time. It's too dangerous to take me. I'll give birth here anyway." He helped you to the couch, where you slid to the ground. "I thought I felt the head."

Josh looked a little green. "You... felt it?"

"I was showering," you grunted.

"Tell me what you need."

You felt bad barking orders at him, but he was there for you. Your fingers played with the area rug. It was an ugly rug anyway. He ran for towels and the first aid kit and the diaper bag from the nursery. Josh also brought your phone. Despite being in a panic for weeks, you were eerily calm.

"I need you to check for me," you said as he placed pillows behind your back, propping you up.

"What? Y/N, you're like my sister. I can't do that!"

"Josh. It's not a big deal! And if we don't do this I could die."

It was true. You wanted it to be an expression, but so many things could go wrong.

He swallowed nervously as he rounded to your legs. Taking a deep breath, he lifted your robe and gasped. "There's hair!"

You rolled your eyes. "I'm sorry that I haven't been able to shave."

"No! Like... coming out!" His expression dropped. "I'm about to pass out."

You grabbed his hand. "You can't Josh. I need you to be able to do this." Your voice began to crack. "I'm all alone. And I don't know if I can do it alone."

"Okay," he said. "What's next?"

"Go wash your hands."

He ran to the kitchen sink, cabinets slamming as he looked for soap. He came back to you dialing a number on your phone.

"Are you calling Sam?" He asked, nervously wondering if he really had to go through with this.

"No, I'm calling 911."

He resumed his position at your feet, watching in worry as you squeezed your eyes shut every few seconds. What should have taken you ten seconds took nearly a minute. The line trilled and a woman answered, asking for details.

"My name is Y/N. I'm in active labor and crowning."

"Okay, Y/N," the woman said. "Is there anyone with you?"

"My brother in law, Josh. He checked me and said he could see the head."

The woman nodded and took down your address. There was a car accident nearby, blocking one major road and an outage on the other side of the street, making the intersections hell. It'd be a while until help arrived. She talked to Josh about your condition, assessing your situation. Your eye caught the photo of Sam on the mantle and the pain subsided for a moment, replaced with guilt. You shook it off, knowing that this moment was about you. Sam could wait a little while.

An instinct telling you to push screamed in your head. You told Josh and the woman instructed on how to push. She was going to count to ten and you'd be able to relax. With a deep breath, you did. The woman counting on the phone sounded far away. Once she reached ten, you relaxed. Josh was still watching you, making sure you weren't reacting negatively.

"I'm being told that the first responders are two blocks away. Are you ready to go again."

"Yes," you squeaked out.

Josh waited patiently, a towel in his lap and his hands respectfully on the either side of your vagina. With two more pushes, he caught his nephew and marveled at his face. You dug through the diaper bag for the mucus squeezer. Josh brought the silent baby to your chest. Following the dispatcher's instructions, you squeezed the fluids from your son's nose and mouth. He began to wail, a beautiful sound to your ears. You let out a short lived laugh.

"Josh," you said, feeling sick. "There's something wrong."

You vision began to go fuzzy and the only thing you could remember was Josh shouting your name while holding your baby in his arms. You could feel another pair of arms coming around your shoulders and beneath your knees.