fire-jmk

"I have some big ne-"

Josh was cut off by the sound of the bell, signaling an emergency. You gave him a look through the phone. "I'm so sorry, but I'll see you tomorrow when I get home and you can tell me all about it. Promise."

You were always careful with that word. As a first responder you'd heard it way too many times.

I promised that I would make it home for dinner. Promise me that you wont tell my parents I crashed the family car.

You tried not to use it, but it slipped out. In all honesty, you were convinced that you'd be going home. It was a structure fire, a common occurrence. As a woman, you were usually placed by the ambulance, retrieving injured victims and assessing them before handing them off to the trained paramedics. You had more medical training than the average firefighter but not enough to be considered a paramedic. You wanted to take the test to be certified, but you couldn't find it in yourself to sign up.

You were in shock when you were told to go into the building and look for more victims. After throwing your gear on, double checking everything, you ran in. The rest of the crew, along with another station, had already checked the first few floors, but you did anyway. You shouted for anyone left behind, scanning for limbs or any sign of movement. Updates of the building's conditions were being fed through the walkie talkies. By the time you made it to the third floor, the fourth and fifth floor were cleared. At this point all you had to do was do one final sweep and get out. The flames ate away at the walls as you walked through. Seeing the little boy curled up by a water pipe in the boiler room at the end of the hall gave you a burst of energy. He was waving through the door, to scared to move from the room.

"Good job, buddy," you called. "I'm going to be right there. Just hang tight, baby." Focusing on his safety first, you hadn't even noticed the ceiling of the hallway sagging. A big mistake.

*

Sam looked over at his brother, taking another fry from the basket. "Where's Y/N?"

Breakfast was set to be all together at a diner. Sadly, when Josh made plans, he didn't account for his girlfriend's 24 hour shifts. "She's still on 'til 3."

Josh was growing increasingly worried. He hadn't heard anything from Y/N since the last phone call. While she usually sent him good morning texts or at least something to inform him that she was still alive, he wasn't worried. It had happened before when there were multiple emergencies in one night, forcing them to go from call to call.

After breakfast, he returned to their shared home. He was practically counting the minutes until she arrived, ready to help her relax.

Her caller ID flashed, bringing a flutter to his heart. He checked the time, 2:55. She only called when there was an incident that would delay her homecoming. Josh answered, happy to hear her voice. He never would have imagined that the incident would involve her as the victim.

"This is Josh, right? Y/N's boyfriend?"

His mouth went dry. "This is him."

"There's no easy way to say this, but Y/N was injured last night while on a call." His heart jumped to his throat. "She's alive and stable, but she's in the hospital."

"Which one?" He whispered, putting his shoes on. He wanted his voice to come out, ask what happened but he couldn't find the strength.

"Presbyterian on Main."

He walked, unsure if he could drive himself. Josh also didn't want to worry or wait for his brothers to drive him, so he walked the seven blocks to the hospital. The receptionist was very kind, not just telling her what room his girlfriend was in, but also walking him to the correct hallway.

Y/N's boss, Captain Boyd, was sitting outside her door. "Josh?" He asked.

Josh nodded, recognizing his voice from the phone call. "What happened?"

Boyd filled him in. Y/N had gone in to do one final sweep of the building. She told them that she had seen a little boy and then her line and tracker went dead. Her teammates pulled her from the rubble and transported her. They would have called Josh earlier if it wasn't for the fact that she'd left her phone in her cubby when they left the fire station and Josh wasn't on her file yet. She had surgery overnight, which went well and she was still sleeping off the anesthesia.

He was petrified of the sight on the other side of the door. Boyd told him to go in, to see her for himself. She was laid in the bed, looking angelic in part to the light above her. Her right ankle was raised, in a cast and healing. Josh scooted a chair closer to her bedside. He put his hand in hers. Boyd had come in behind him, about to say his goodbyes.

Y/N squeezed Josh's hand and tried to sit up.

"Take it easy," Josh said, standing up to relax her.

"What happened to the little boy?" She croaked out, almost like she was unaware of where she was. Josh noticed that she wasn't looking at him, but rather at her boss.

"He's safe," Boyd said. "You did good, Y/N. Rest up and come back stronger."

He left the two alone, a silence settling into the room. Josh had so many questions coming into the hospital but none of them mattered anymore. You were alive, alert, and well enough to worry about the little boy. Maybe a little scathed, but you were okay.

*

After one more night in the hospital, you were discharged. Jake had come by later in the day, wondering why Josh's location blip was in the hospital. He brought a change of clothes for you as your uniform had been cut open and was still a little stinky from the fire. Sam brought Josh's car, leaving it in the lot and leaving the keys and flowers at the front desk.

Nurses wheeled you out to the parking lot after finishing the discharge paperwork. Josh left you on the bench for a while, taking all of your belongings to the car and bringing it to the front. After a difficult moment trying to sit in the backseat with your leg elevated and settle your crutches where they wouldn't hit you, you were on your way. The reality had set in on the short drive home. You'd be on bed rest for weeks and then slow physical therapy. After all of that, comes the training and recertification tests. You were stressed just thinking about it.

Josh caught the knit of worry your eyebrows were in. "Are you alright?"

You nodded. "Just... there's a long road ahead of us."

He returned his attention to the road. "I'll be with you the entire way."