the dress-jmk

I've been in a very big dad!Josh mood lately. I also feel weird about writing about kids because I can never decide on a name.

Seeing your daughter come out in the full outfit, puffy dress, frilly socks, tap shoes, and tiara, you stifled a laugh. To top it off, she waved around a little wand, the plastic bead bracelets on her wrist clacking.

Michelle, your daughter, was just as flamboyant as her father when she went out. Getting dressed in the morning was a hassle that took ten times longer than it should. Sometimes you couldn't tell if she took after him in the sense of just trying to push your buttons or if she really had an eye for fashion. Today was Sam's birthday party and she refused to put on the simple sundress and leggings you wanted her to wear. She had spotted the tiara on top of the dresser and decided to center her outfit around it and a sundress would not match the awesomeness of the tiara.

"Babe, you can't wear the princess dress to the party," you said. "It's not your party."

You then tried to convince her that she wouldn't be comfortable. Anytime Sam hosted a party when the kids were invited, he rented a bouncy castle for all of them. She wouldn't have the necessary mobility to be able to jump around with her cousins. Your third eye could see a tantrum coming from the inability to play with the others.

"I want it," she said, stomping her foot and clenching her fists at her side.

"No." You started to pull her pajamas off, but she kicked at you. "You can't look prettier than the birthday boy."

Josh sauntered into the room. "What's going on here?"

You explained the situation, quickly getting frustrated. There was less than an hour before the party started, and you still weren't dressed. Josh insisted on having pancakes for breakfast. He left splotches of batter all around the stove and countertops. You knew he'd come back to clean it up, but he was busy eating with Michelle first. He then ushered you out of the room to go get dressed, promising to handle the little dilemma. You sighed, knowing that instead of taking your daughter to the party, you'd be taking a little princess. The little girl had him wrapped around her finger, and Josh couldn't see it. You finished getting dressed before them. You packed a diaper bag and waiting by the door with Michelle's coat. The two came down the hallway, ready to leave. Your suspicions were correct, but it was too late to keep battling her.

"She refused to take it off," Josh sighed when he caught your eye. "Also, we need to keep an eye on her because I taped the shoes so they might be slick"

Sure enough, the edges of the tap shoes were covered in scotch tape. While Josh could handle a lot, the sound of tap shoes were his weakness.

"Well, you can't say she's not yours," you giggled, giving him the diaper bag.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

You walked away, letting him ponder the comment.

Karen gasped as Michelle walked into the party. She was walking with an odd swagger, her hips going from side to side. At least that's what she tried to do, instead twisting her entire body.

"Look at this little beauty!" Kelly said, taking his granddaughter into his arms.

She greeted him with a kiss, talking about how much she loved her dress. Then she told Karen about her evil mother who tries to make her wear something simple. After explaining the dress to them, they laughed. Apparently, Josh was the same when he was young, but rather than a distaste for simple clothes, it was a distaste for clothes in general.

"That's how we know that Michelle is your daughter," Kelly said, talking her out to the backyard.

Josh looked at you, raising his eyebrow. You pretended like you hadn't heard, placing the diaper bag on the coat rack.

You mingled with the other guests. Sam made his rounds, sitting with you by the middle of the party. The two of you sat in the garden, a little further away from the tables that were set up. Danny walked over, pulling another chair up and setting down drinks. You watched Michelle in the bounce house, glancing over occasionally. Josh was inside the house, probably playing bartender while talking to other guests. You were in the middle of a story when there was a wail.

Every parent in the area stopped, listening for which kid was crying and trying to deduce if it was serious. You mentally sighed when you realized that it was Michelle. You briskly walked over, meeting Jake. He'd been inside the bounce house with all the kids, including yours.

"She ripped her dress," he huffed, struggling to both hold her and walk on the wobbly rubber. When she cried, she turned into a little rag doll, going limp and dropping herself to the ground in a tantrum.

You pulled her by the ankles out of the bounce house. She stood up, wiping her eyes and looking for her shoes. You crouched down to help her put her little plastic shoes on. "What happened, 'Chelle?"

She stuttered out her story, falling limp in your arms. Her cousin, Kara, had pushed Michelle and Jake couldn't pick her up before Kara stepped on the frail fabric. You took her inside, trying to soothe her tears. Taking the diaper bag to the guest bedroom, Josh followed. Michelle had since calmed down, understanding that her dress was done for. The tulle from the skirt was torn, exposing her legs. The side had also ripped at the seams, probably from where she stretched herself trying to get up.

"I don't want that," she said, looking at the clothes you pulled out.

You sighed, seeing her fit this morning coming full circle. "It's all we have, 'Chelle."

"Mitchie," Josh smiled. "You're going to look so cute in this dress. Or you could wear the pants instead."

"I want that." Her little hand pointed at the clothes hung up.

The clothes in the closet were old outfits that they hadn't worn in ages. Her eye caught the glimmering fabrics of Josh's clothes.

"No," you said. "Those are too big for you."

She began to tear up again and her lip wobbled. "Please?"

Josh walked over to the closet, falling for her emotions again. He pulled a fringed shirt from the hanger. You huffed. If Josh was going to keep caving into her every whim, you were going to struggle a lot in the coming years. He took her dress off, replacing it with his old shirt and smiling as he looked down at her. He tied it back with a rubber band and sent her off with a kiss on the cheek. Michelle looked at herself in the mirror, playing with the fringes for a moment before running from the room.

"We're creating a little diva," you sighed, picking up the ruined dress. Hopefully she would forget about it if you threw it out fast enough.

"Do you recognize that shirt?" He asked, pulling you into a hug. His hand found the back of your head, stroking your hair lightly. "That's the shirt I wore when we first met."

You felt a little bad for not knowing. A laugh escaped your lips. "You were hot back then."

"Back then?" Josh repeated, pulling away with a playful grin appearing on his face. He grabbed the diaper bag and the dress from your hands. "I'll have you know that I have been called a DILF once or twice."

"By whom?" You asked, following him down the hallway.

He shrugged. "Just some people."

In the living room, Michelle was playing with Kara and Lucas, Danny's son. The three of them were over by the piano, striking random keys and giggling.

"Well, she's definitely yours," Sam snorted, lightly pushing Josh before going over to scare his nieces and nephew.

Josh turned to you. "Why does everyone keep saying that?"