Chapter 69: Glory to Leifor

Note: I pray for those in Ukraine, who are currently experiencing needless suffering. I pray for those in Russia, who disagree with their leader's actions, but are forced to comply under threat of arrest, or worse. This chapter is dedicated to the courageous heroes who continue to valiantly fight the forces of oppression.

——

February 28, 1640
Leiforia, Leifor

The sound of rumbling engines shook nearby buildings as a lengthy column of tanks made its way down the Leiforian Promenade from the harbor. The wide road the Gra Valkans traveled on was strong enough to withstand the weight of the tanks. As such, they didn't deign to pave over it, or remove the debris and obstacles that had accumulated during their invasion and occupation. Unbeknownst to the column, these heaps of trash and debris were perfect for hiding the latest weapons among the Leiforian Resistance's arsenal — improvised explosive devices.

Wires unseen by the naked eye stretched from all along the street into a single shop. Thankfully, the streets were free of civilian activity, as all the locals had been scared into hiding by the strict curfews imposed by the Gra Valkans. Patrolling soldiers were also known to treat civilians with ruthlessness, subjecting them to rape and banditry.

Vengeful thoughts consumed the mind of a bearded young man, who stared at the column of tanks from a small slit, finger ready on the trigger. His fingers shook, trembling in anticipation. Then, he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"No need to be nervous, Vanerial," someone behind him said in a distinct accent unlike those of the posh Muans or the haughty Mirishials.

"I'm not nervous," the Leiforian said, feeling a bit insulted. Keeping his eyes on the tanks, he continued, "I'm just... excited. This will be the first major victory we see over the Gra Valkans."

"Don't worry, there will be many more to come. Just be patient, and wait until you see the last tank."

The Leiforian gave a slight nod, waiting in silence for several minutes until the column of tanks finally reached its tail.

"Light 'em up," the man behind him said.

"Glory to Leifor!" He said as he triggered the explosives.

A brilliant flash of light engulfed the first tank, followed by the next, and the next, and so on in quick succession. A current of doom flashed like lightning as a line of eruptions detonating, catching up to the convoy's head a mile away. Thunderous blasts shattered the windows of nearby buildings, kicking up a storm of dust and debris in the process. The entire Gra Valkan convoy was obscured by dark smoke, rendering the results of hard Leiforian work inaccessible until a mighty gust of wind blew much of the smoke away.

All that was left of the convoy was a trail of burnt husks as far as the eye could see. The Leiforian froze in shock for a moment, unable to fathom how quickly, efficiently, and easily the Leiforian Resistance had just decimated a force long thought to be invincible. As the shock wore off, his open mouth turned into a maniacal grin, euphoria rushing in from the taste of victory.

"Hah... Hahahaha!" He laughed, glimpsing a newfound hope. He turned back to face the man behind him. His gaze met the American man's sunglasses, which did little to hide his surprise. "By the gods, Wileman! The Leiforian Resistance was right to trust you! I can't believe I thought you were a Gra Valkan infiltrator," he said, slightly embarrassed.

"This is only the beginning," Wileman got straight to the point. "I'm glad that this was enough to prove myself, but we should leave now. The Gra Valkans won't be too far behind; let's prepare for the reinforcements."

Now confident in Wileman's judgment, Vanerial followed without question. "Understood."

Somewhat deafened by the explosions and traumatized by the Gra Valkan invasion several months prior, most continued to hide in their homes and businesses. However, a few courageous souls ventured out to seek answers. These curious civilians began to celebrate, whooping and hollering as they recognized the scene before them. Soon enough, more people began emerging from buildings and joining the celebration, chanting "Glory to Leifor!"