Chapter 94: Overkill

June 5
Runepolis, Holy Mirishial Empire

Director Liage glanced at the heavily mustached blonde man sitting across from him, offering him an ice-cold plastic cup with a green logo resembling a woman. "Good to see you, Audigs. Coffee?"

Audigs held up a hand, "No thank you," he chuckled. "Those drinks are too sweet; I can't burn calories as well as an elf. I'll become like one of those hefty Americans, eh?"

"Fair enough," Liage laughed, poking a straw into the drink. "So, what can I do for you?"

"Straight to business, then?" Audigs sighed as he brushed a few strands of hair from his eyes. "Very well then," he said, clearing his throat. "The government of Mu wishes to invoke Article Five of the Elysian Defense Treaty to fight off the Gra Valkas Empire."

Liage raised an eyebrow. "You desire our aid in combating the Gra Valkans? Have they declared war?"

"No," Audigs said, looking a bit troubled, "Not yet, at least." He explained, "The Gra Valkans have been waging a campaign of conquest throughout our continent. We would have tried to stop them preemptively, but we regretfully admit that their power far outstrips even our own. Stopping them in their tracks alone would be suicide."

Liage recalled his nation's unsavory encounters with the Gra Valkans, particularly the interactions they had with a rather brash diplomat. Although the Gra Valkans had been confirmed as a viable threat by their military analysts, Liage couldn't help but feel excited at the prospect of finally putting these cocky barbarians in their place. Plus, indulging in Mu's requests could lead to some beneficial conditions – something that was desperately needed to counter growing American influence abroad. With an understanding smile, Liage nodded. "I'll forward your request to the Emperor. Do keep in mind that Article Five was developed primarily for the return of the Sorcerers, so we may need to come to certain agreements to accommodate."

Audigs knew the game Liage was playing, but his hands were tied. Giving some minor concessions to the Mirishials was much more preferable to complete domination at the hands of the Gra Valkans, and so he reluctantly agreed. "You... have a deal."

—-

Sonalta, Sonal Kingdom

Colonel Arocles watched General Viltrius as he removed several allied pieces from a map of the Sonal Kingdom. Although an expected outcome, it still pained him to see that the city of Exteris had finally fallen and with it, half of their entire military. Tens of thousands of trained men still remained: battered, yet defiant and ready to defend the capital. Equipped with modernized weaponry thanks to shipments from the Muan border, these elite troops represented the Sonal Kingdom's final hope.

Despite their victories in Exteris and other battlegrounds, they were severely outmatched by the Gra Valkan invaders. In their renewed vigor, they had obliterated Exteris and flooded this new opening with wave after wave of mechanized units, steamrolling through cities and fortresses until the Sonalians were pushed back to their capital city. Unlike the initial invasion attempt, this attempt was unstoppable; the Gra Valkans deployed a number of forces that the Sonalians had never thought possible.

Faced against a war machine the likes of which they had never seen, the Sonalians began to panic. Even the esteemed General Viltrius – lauded for his emotionless cunning on the battlefield – was beginning to show cracks. With a shaky voice, he addressed his officers, "I want our troops concentrated on the western half of the city. Spread them out as much as possible to avoid succumbing to enemy bombs!"

"Sir," Arocles said, "What is our objective?"

"Buy time for our people to escape, and deal as much damage to the Gra Valkans as possible."