Chapter 168: Durnsbury

Author's Note (Story and Patreon Updates):
I will be taking a holiday break in observance of Christmas and New Years. Manifest Fantasy and Summoning America will return on January 9, 2024.
Hawthorne and the Seventh Fleet will return after a coverage of the Battle of Durnsbury.
You'll like Manifest Fantasy more than Summoning America.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/75057/manifest-fantasy
Note 2:
Chapter 169 is now out for all Tier 2 Patrons and higher! Tier 2 Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd
– –

January 14, 1641
Orisun, Mu (GVE-Occupied)

Flats felt his nose wrinkle at the thick scent of cigarette smoke, deciding to open a window in the town hall's conference room to air it out. As the morning air of the nearby forest swept in, it carried away the stale odors of overnight strategy sessions. He turned back to face his staff.

Colonel Raditz was the first to break the silence. "General, the latest reports from Annleton and Karndale confirm our diversionary tactics are in play. The enemy's attention is divided."

Flats nodded, his hands clasped behind his back. "And Durnsbury?"

Major Meissner, with a map spread out on the table, pointed to several marked locations. "Reinforcements have arrived there. An extra battalion, likely a response to our movements in Orisun and elsewhere."

Raditz interjected, "Their numbers have increased, but so has our momentum."

Flats leaned over the map, his eyes tracing the lines and symbols that represented the battlefield. "Numbers alone don't win wars," he mused aloud. "It's how you use them. And we will use ours to maximum effect."

Meissner adjusted his glasses, looking up from the map. "Our Fourth Armored is ready, General. But with the added battalion, we'll need to adjust our approach for Durnsbury."

"Adjust, but not relent," Flats replied firmly. "We have the advantage of armor and now, air superiority. With the American mercenaries distracted in the Northgard region, there shall be nothing to contest our Guti Maun units."

"Indeed, General," Raditz agreed. "The 12th Sky Corps merely awaits your command."

Flats turned to Meissner. "Detail, the revised disposition of our forces. Start with the armored units."

Meissner nodded, pointing to the map. "Our reinforcements have filled the gaps in Ulfar Company and other units from the recent battle. We're at full strength now, with Shafers ready to lead the charge after the 12th's finished up their runs."

"Good." Flats leaned over the map. "Do we have any updates on the central district?"

Meissner replied, "We've lost contact with several agents, but a few managed to slip in, disguised as refugees. The central district is confirmed to have anti-tank guns covering the major streets. We've identified several positions along the outskirts of the train yard, and confirmed some electronic targets previously identified via aerial reconnaissance, but could not venture further."

Raditz, studying the new pieces on the map, added, "The Muans will likely deploy their 105s along these main roads. Our Shafers and Raptors can take side streets for flanking."

Flats sighed. No matter what strategy or tactics they introduced, carving out a path block by block was inevitable. "The Muan mages will be a wild card," he mused. "Reports suggest they have a small contingent from Agartha specializing in earth manipulation. Madar shows high concentrations of magic along the main streets here. They could turn these streets into death traps."

"We can have the 12th bomb the nearby buildings; clear a path for our advance," Raditz suggested. "We can have Einherjar and the other Grazer artillery units add these targets to their lists as well."