Chapter 166: The Shirakawa Heist

Author's Note (Story and Patreon Updates):

Manifest Fantasy is my latest and greatest work, written much more professionally than even Summoning America. If you enjoy Summoning America, then you'll likely enjoy Manifest Fantasy so much more!

NOTE: Manifest Fantasy (rewritten) is available through RoyalRoad.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/75057/manifest-fantasy

Note 2:
Chapter 167 is now out for all Tier 2 Patrons and higher! Tier 2 Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

——

January 9, 1641
Shirakawa Palace, Thearchy of Gahara

The smell of cut grass filled the air as Thazarim walked through the garden behind the royal palace. He blended in seamlessly, his rough and earth-stained attire that of a common gardener. Beside him, Verashta mirrored his appearance, her hands occasionally reaching out to brush against the vibrant flora, a disguise as a botanical assistant.

Thazarim swept the area, taking in the layout, the positioning of guards, and the flow of servants and officials through the garden. Tatsukai's recommendation did not fall short; the garden was indeed the optimal ingress and egress point due to the low volume of traffic. If it was like this in the afternoon, he imagined it would be even better before dawn.

Verashta leaned in slightly. "Three guards near the west wing entrance. Regular intervals."

"And the east?" Thazarim asked.

"Less guarded. But there's a watcher on the balcony above. Sharp eyes," she replied, pruning a nearby bush.

As they neared a sculpted hedge, Thazarim paused, pretending to inspect a leaf. In reality, his eyes were tracing the route they'd take come nightfall, identifying shadowed paths and blind spots. A guard passed by, offering them a nod which Thazarim returned with a practiced, inconspicuous smile. The guard moved forward, and Thazarim watched him until he turned a corner.

"Let's go," he said once the guard disappeared from view.

Abandoning their position in the garden, he led Verashta toward a back entrance in the palace; they needed to scout the vault. Their disguises wouldn't work in the restricted areas near the vault, so they would have to rely on timing and subtlety.

They slipped inside, blending in with the flow of servants. Thazarim scanned the corridors – all the doorways, turns, and staircases aligned with Tatsukai's map. Verashta, walking a few steps behind, counted the pacing of patrolling guards, her lips moving slightly as if muttering to herself.

Reaching an ornate hallway, they encountered increased security. Thazarim steered them into a corridor without any servants in it, using a small illusion spell to project an image of an empty corner when a guard glanced their way. As the guard left, Thazarim moved up to peek around.

"Clear," he said.

They continued down the ornate hallway, reaching an intersection that split toward the royal chambers to the left and the royal treasury to the right. Turning right, they silently trailed a pair of guards, sticking to the walls and using nooks and empty rooms to evade detection. Soon enough, they found themselves outside a heavy wooden door, guarded by two samurai.

This had to be it – the entrance to the vault. Projecting an illusion of an empty hallway in front of him, he stepped out and observed the guards. Their stance, their grip on their swords, their periodic communication with other patrols – all were cataloged in his mind.