Chapter 110: Karma

Alue, Mu

Bullets whizzed past Jaeger's face as he dragged a fallen comrade behind a corner. "Shit," he muttered.

Pieces of the wall beside him fell apart as incoming rounds chipped away at wood and brick. Occasional shrapnel pelted him, but felt like nothing more than a tickle after having lost most momentum upon impact. Finding a reprieve from the hail of steel, Jaeger took the time to bend down and analyze the man he had just dragged to safety.

He looked down, his blue eyes meeting the cold, lifeless stare of his subordinate's hazel. He spared little time for prayers for his fallen comrade, instead scavenging his body for essential ammunition. After securing two spare magazines for his STG-44, he retreated toward the marketplace, where the explosives were hidden.

He moved further east, navigating through abandoned stalls as he attempted to lure the 50-strong Muan force chasing him. He spotted an empty building that was taller than the one- and two-story structures around it and ventured in, climbing the steps. Once he reached the third story, he shot open a door to access the windows overlooking the marketplace.

He went into the room and cleared it. Satisfied with the abandoned apartment, he aimed his gun out the window, hiding behind curtains as he watched the Muans funnel into the kill zone that was meant for the supply convoy. To his dismay, the Muans approached it cautiously, likely because they were unaware of his position.

Hoping to intentionally reveal his position, Jaeger shot at a young Muan soldier who seemed to be recently enlisted. The boy in the marketplace grasped his neck and fell to his knees after a well-placed shot. He bled as he was dragged by his fellow soldiers, leaving a trail of blood on the street.

It didn't take long for the rest of the Muans to figure out where Jaeger was hiding, and they opened fire on his position.

A searing pain bore into his chest while shards of wood and glass cut through his uniform. He stumbled backward, wincing from the sudden pain and subconsciously placed his left hand where the injury was. "Damn it," he cursed, pulling his hand away to reveal a pool of blood.

He flicked his wrist, tossing the blood on his palm aside before wiping it on his uniform. The hole in his chest continued to ooze scarlet liquid, nipping away at his consciousness with each drop of blood lost. Was this it for him?

The gunfire ceased, followed by shouting as the Muans gave new orders. Jaeger realized that they must be preparing to assault his building by now, which meant that he had no time left. Having resolved to bring as much pain into the Muans as possible, he peeked out the destroyed window to determine if he should detonate the explosives.

"I could get maybe twenty..." he said to himself, quickly counting the figures that were running into the marketplace. His lips curled up into yet another freakish grin. "And any civilians who are hiding in the nearby buildings."

He pulled the remote detonator from his pocket as his vision grew blurrier and darker. With his last remaining ounces of strength, he gave the trigger a satisfying pull.

——

CIA Outpost
Alue, Mu

Jaeger awoke with a start. The first thing he saw was a bright light overhead, causing him to wonder if he was in the afterlife. His groggy thoughts were then interrupted by the appearance of a white-coated man in a surgical mask, who announced, "He's awake!"

"Huh," a masculine voice said, "That amplified healing magic is nothing short of a miracle!"

A feminine voice to his right agreed, "Indeed it is. If this is what Mirishial energy sources are capable of, I can't wait to test what your people come up with!"