Chapter 161: Follicus Island

Author's Note (Story and Patreon Updates):

Go read Manifest Fantasy, my new portal isekai story where the modern U.S. discovers a fantasy world. I say this as the author of Summoning America, my new work is TEN TIMES BETTER. Also, please favorite, rate, and review if you enjoy!

NOTE: Manifest Fantasy (rewritten) is ONLY available through RoyalRoad.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/75057/manifest-fantasy

Note 2:
162 is now out for all Tier 2 Patrons and higher! Tier 2 Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

– –

January 4, 1641
GVE-Occupied Follicus Island
Captured HME Base

Fleet Admiral Alaric Dietrich leaned over the surface of a heavy wooden table, the edges of his eyes reddening like the last glimmers of a setting sun. His hand hesitated over the papers. "Karlmann must be joking," he muttered, his voice tinged with disbelief and edged with disdain. The orders before him felt as if they were inked with folly rather than simple black.

In a room walled by maps and charts, he navigated through scattered reports of radio chatter, intelligently deduced patterns, and the nebulous musings of informants from Cartalpas. "Destroyed recon units, rumors from the ground, and still, we're shooting in the dark," he sighed. His finger traced lines on a map, stopping at Cartalpas and the thin blue lines indicating the sea routes.

"We're blind, but we're not deaf. The radio waves betray their steps even if those steps are leagues away," his aide, Lieutenant Halifax, offered.

"Indeed. But it's a shadow play," Dietrich responded, the weariness in his voice grappling with resignation. He picked up a pencil and started to mark the map. "They're beyond our reach, and I dare say, possibly beyond planning for."

His eyes darted across the map toward the Follicus region. "We retreat from Cartalpas, and now they amass there. Dozens of ships, a supercarrier among them. What do we have in Follicus? Two-thirds of a Conquest Fleet – Hel, even two full Conquest Fleets are nothing compared to that."

"We have ingenuity, Admiral. We have the will to adapt," Halifax proposed, although Dietrich could hear the young officer's apprehension.

Dietrich chuckled ruefully. "Ingenuity would suggest we retreat. There is little we can do to outsmart them; they have complete knowledge of our operations and have ships that strike from distances we can't even fathom.

His finger tapped the Follicus region on the map, eyes narrowing. Still, we'll do what we can. Summon the analysts and officers. It's time to review our current strategies in light of these... unsettling developments."

"We need to be prepared to rewrite the entire playbook," he added, eyes resting briefly on the antique Muan clock that ticked away precious seconds.

Halifax nodded, turning to leave. "I'll arrange it immediately, sir."

Within moments, his staff officers assembled in the room. Well-accustomed to his temperament but nonetheless tense, they waited for him to speak. One of them, a younger Lieutenant Commander named Ehrlich, finally broke the silence. "Admiral, we have a new report from our informants, sent a few hours ago. At least a dozen American ships departing Cartalpas, including one of their... supercarriers."

Dietrich gave a grim nod. "Supercarriers that make our Pegasus-class look outdated," he said. "Let's not entertain any fantasies about a direct confrontation."

There was a heavy pause.

"Firstly, why the hell aren't we mining the sea approaches to Follicus?" Dietrich snapped. "We've had nearly a week!"