Chapter 171: Infiltration

Author's Note (Story and Patreon Updates):

I will release one free extra chapter for both Manifest Fantasy and Summoning America if any of the following milestones are met:
- RoyalRoad: 3,000 followers on Manifest Fantasy
- Scribblehub: 1,300 followers on Manifest Fantasy
- r/HFY: 800 concurrent readers (based on average upvotes per chapter)
- Patreon: $1,000/month creator income milestone

Note 2:

Chapter 172 is now out for all Tier 2 Patrons and higher! Tier 2 Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

– –

January 17, 1641
Durnsbury, Mu

"Everything set?" Einar asked, peering into the truck's shadowed interior. Clad in Muan uniforms, his team sat among crates of the explosives they had found.

"All in order, sir," Sergeant Kriegstahl replied. His voice was steady, the slight clatter of munitions accompanying his final checks.

Einar nodded. "Check your watches; ensure they're synchronized. The bombs need to go off at 0900 hours."

After receiving confirmation, Einar pulled out a set of aerial photographs. "Good. We've got new intel from our scouts. The active bombs are stashed in the main freight terminal, specifically in the loading docks and along the critical junction points of the rail lines. The docks are our primary focus. They've rigged explosives in the cargo areas, likely where the most impact will be."

Einar paused, swapping to another photo. "We don't have any visual confirmation, but these rail lines are secondary targets. The engineers think that explosives placed under the eastern and western overpasses could cause the most damage. We'll need to disarm likely bombs there to prevent the entire line from going up."

"Sounds like we'll need to split up," Kriegstahl commented.

Einar then pulled out a photograph of the entire railway station and its surroundings, spreading it on a box of explosives. "Affirmative. Once we're in the base, Kriegstahl and Freistrom will head to the docks. Thundervald, you're with me on the western overpass. Wulfsten and Brunnhald, you'll take the eastern overpass. We move in three teams. Maximum discretion until the bombs go off. That's your window to act. Regroup at the main lobby when you're done."

The team nodded, prepared to act. Satisfied with the review, Einar stepped out of the back of the truck and made his way over to the driver's seat. He took one last look at the shattered office building behind him, the shadows of its form stretching toward him. With a sigh, he eased out of the garage, merging into the empty early morning roads. The ambiance of distant artillery felt almost calming to him, as if reminding him of the raw experience and power that backed him, his men, and Kessler's forces.

As they neared the railroad station, the first hints of dawn began to touch the sky. Einar's gaze hardened. "Stay sharp," he murmured, more to himself than to Thundervald. The checkpoint was up ahead, manned by Muan guards whose silhouettes were barely discernible in the low light.

Einar slowed the truck as they approached, rolling to a stop before a Muan guard. "Mornin'," he greeted. "Delivery for the docks, delayed by the skirmish at Jardin Park. Had to circle wide to avoid the Gra Valkan mess."

The guard looked up from his notes. "Supposed to be here yesterday, this was. What's the cargo?"

"Bombs," Einar replied promptly, a hint of urgency in his voice. "For the railroad. Couldn't risk the Valkies catching wind of this."