Chapter 178: In Agreement

Author's Note (Story and Patreon Updates):

Please support Manifest Fantasy on Reddit (r/HFY) by upvoting and commenting! I'm lowering the milestone so I'll upload one extra chapter on Manifest Fantasy and Summoning America if I get 400 (previously 600) average likes on my Manifest Fantasy Reddit chapters.

Note 2:

Chapter 179 is now out for all Tier 2 Patrons and higher! Tier 2 Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!

Patreon: www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd 

-- -- 

A tall man who surpassed Marix's heavyset build awaited them as they entered the small conference room. After the Gra Valkans took their seats around the table, the man stood and introduced himself. "Mornin'. I'm Colonel Bradley Thorne, liaison officer for the Bureau of Political-Military Affairs. I'll be facilitating our discussions today." He then introduced a woman with sharp features, Dr. Serena Fieldstone from the Department of State, alongside a few other personnel including a military strategist and a couple of aides.

Seeing the Gra Valkans give nods of acknowledgment, he continued, "Glad you could join us. To begin, I believe it might be of interest to you to know the current status of your naval assets. Specifically, the Fourth and Fifth Conquest Fleets have, as we had expected, ceased hostilities and surrendered."

The American's words were blunt, carrying with it an air of suppressed... superiority. It was a tone that Crown Prince Gra Cabal was all too aware of — a tone that he'd seen practiced many times among the ranks of Gesta's Foreign Affairs personnel. Yet, the American here seemed to at least be somewhat respectful about it, masking his pride while skillfully maintaining the demeanor that he had seen in Protocol Officer Mercer and the other American officials.

Though, it wasn't the bluntness of his statement that was most shocking; it was the implication of it. Yes, he had already suspected as such, but hearing it confirmed and seeing the accompanying portraits of the captured Fleet Admirals on screen — it hit him differently. And, judging by the look plastered on the face of his father, it was disheartening news that drew them out of their blissful ignorance.

"Now, I'm sure you're curious about the reasons behind your presence here today and why we extended our resources to ensure your safety – and your family's safety – during the recent upheaval. The rationale is straightforward," Thorne paused, turning to look Cabal directly in the eyes, "we recognize you as the... legitimate authority of the Gra Valkas Empire. Your potential leadership, in our assessment, aligns more closely with the principles we prefer to engage with, especially when juxtaposed with the current regime's irrationality. This acknowledgment, naturally, leads to an anticipation of well, reciprocal cooperation, moving forward. To lay the groundwork for this collaboration, I propose we start with a candid recounting of the events leading up to, and following, the coup. Your insights here are invaluable. Your Excellency," Thorne said, beckoning the Emperor to answer.

This man, Thorne, had a way with words Cabal couldn't ignore. The man basically told them to cooperate not just for the benefit of their nation, but also as thanks for saving their asses – all with the diplomatic finesse of Gesta's top-ranking personnel. He looked to his father, who recognized the same skill he did. His father seemed hesitant, even reluctant, to answer.

The facade of orders was a shot through his prideful heart, but he knew that there was indeed no better path for the Gra Valkas Empire, so he answered nonetheless. "It was never my intention to drag my great Empire into a war with your nation. I was acutely aware of the tremendous toll it would exact. Unfortunately, the War Hawks, blinded by their belligerence, fail to grasp this wisdom. I'm certain that their leader, Guinea Marix, had long disapproved of my methodologies. The incident with the GVS Revolution, I believe was the last straw for him. You're familiar with the affair, I presume?"

Thorne nodded. "One of your ships went rogue and tried to attack one of our convoys."