Chapter 86: Patience

Author's Note: In previous chapters, I noted the calendar year as 1641. This is a typo. The United States was transferred in 2021/1639. The year should be 2022/1640.

Additionally, I am willing to release yet another free chapter in the month of June. If you'd like to contribute (no payments or donations necessary), please use this referral code for the stock trading application Webull. I will add another chapter to June if at least 5 people use my referral.

https://a.webull.com/Uasi6zkc37slwnllXy

—-

April 25, 1640
Magicaregia, Annonrial Empire
Resurrection Management Agency Headquarters

Shadows exuded from Director Zamuras' vibrant wings, reflecting the darkness that broiled within the powerful individual. He stood by the edge of a long conference table, overlooking the department and section heads that sat silently, eyes drawn down as if their vision was affected by gravity. By the wide wall to his left, a screen flickered on, showing a screencap of a commercial for the United States Air Force.

Zamuras uttered a single word, "Watch."

The video played. "Elysia is over eighty percent water, and only twenty percent land," the narrator announced over clips of American jets flying over diverse landscapes. "But the entire sky... Belongs to us." Amidst a backdrop of cinematic music, jets annihilated aerial targets for the next twenty seconds. Lourian and Parpaldian wyverns were obliterated while their vessels were likewise sunk in fiery explosions. Then, the Aji Dhaka appeared.

Zamuras paused the video. He faced his subordinates, who realized what the creature was and what its presence in an American military commercial implied. "You are gathered here today to address a catastrophic failure," Zamuras said with an eerily unbefitting calm. He sighed heavily, sending shivers down the spines of the people present with this mere action. "Now... Can anyone here recognize what is wrong with this... production here?"

A brave employee answered as he quivered in his seat, "S-sir, that is the Aji Dhaka. A-and it has been released from its containment."

"Quaint observation," Zamuras said. His unorthodoxly calm tone was a significant contrast to his history of fiery, destructive outbursts of anger. If anything, it most closely represented the calm before the storm. "However, that is not the issue. Although the Aji Dhaka research is valuable, if it had completed its objective and laid waste to the inferiors of Grameus and Philades, then it would have been worth it." He pointed a remote at the screen. "This," he said, anger swelling up like a powerful torrent trying to break through a dam, "Is the issue."

The video resumed, showing footage of missiles besieging the monster. The barrage laid waste to the creature in an astonishingly short time, leaving nothing but a smoldering carcass and bits of gore scattered around what was once feared to be a devastating monster. The Annonrials were left in a different state – one of figurative desolation, rather than literal.

"It is clear that this interaction is the reason why Darkshield's team has not reported back in over a month." Zamuras' tone shifted to one reflecting annoyance, "Unfortunately, this also means that Darkshield cannot be present at this meeting, and that I cannot execute him personally for his failure. You lot, on the other hand," he paused, enjoying the sheer terror that now afflicted his subordinates, "are present. Zastor, Gritmoore, and Pallosar, I expect that you'll refrain from making the same mistakes that Darkshield made. Use the chaos created by the Gra Valkans. Secure the remaining beacons while the inferiors distract themselves with petty conflicts. Under no circumstances will you allow the Americans to get their hands on the devices first."

His men nodded.

"Go, and make His Holiness proud!"

—-