Chapter 170: Sabotage

Author's Note (Story and Patreon Updates):

If you enjoy Modern vs Fantasy content or are a fan of Stargate or GATE, I invite you to check out my latest work: Manifest Fantasy! It is available on wattpad, and you can find it through my profile or by searching up "Manifest Fantasy".

It contains all the lessons I've learned as an author for a work of overall greater quality and attention to detail.

Note 2:
Chapter 171 is now out for all Tier 2 Patrons and higher! Tier 2 Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd
— —

January 16, 1641
Durnsbury, Mu

A sniper's shot cracked through the morning air, the resulting bullet kicking up dust next to one of Kessler's men up ahead. "Fucking snipers." Kessler growled into the radio, "Einar, sharpshooter in that four-story apartment up ahead. Flush him out."

Through the periscope, he watched Einar's squad spring into action. A grenade flew into a shattered window, and a room on the third floor erupted in a cloud of dust and debris. "That's how we do it," Kessler muttered.

He surveyed the cluttered streets of Durnsbury, each one a damn death trap. "Eiswulf, advance, but keep it tight. Halm, roll that Hound up for backup," he commanded.

Just as he gave out the orders, the Shafer in front of Eiswulf's squad disappeared into the ground, its back sticking out of a large pit. The trapped tank blocked the entire street, a perfect opportunity for an ambush. Thankfully, the nearby buildings had already been cleared.

"Secure the perimeter!" Kessler called out, "Engineers, extract that Shafer! Mullen, I want that crossroad up ahead locked down. No fuck-ups. Can't get choked up in these rat alleys."

Mullen's squad sprinted toward the crossroad, hugging the buildings to the sides of the street. One of the soldiers in his squad peeked around the corner before quickly ducking back, a spray of machine gun fire erupting from around the corner.

"Jern, on me! We're sweeping this block," Mullen's voice crackled over the radio. Kessler could see his men moving through the buildings to engage the Muans across the street and around the corners. Jern's men moved up to assist Mullen and his squad, scrambling as sniper fire cut through someone's chest.

"Sniper in the bell tower!" someone yelled.

Kessler saw the bell tower in the distance, the muzzle flash visible. "Halm, light up that fucking tower!"

The response was immediate – a barrage of fire directed at the decrepit stone tower looming over the street. Kessler watched as chunks of masonry flew off the tower, a plume of smoke rising into the air. A body tumbled from the tower's opening, hitting the ground with a dull thud.

The firefight died down quickly as Mullen and Jern's men sweeped the perimeter, clearing a space for the engineers to do their work. Curiously enough, their fight didn't attract much attention, as if the Muans had abandoned this area. Not a single enemy combatant interrupted their work, and the Shafer was brought out of the pit.

As they moved forward, Kessler noticed something odd about the neighborhood. It was too quiet. "Something's off," he murmured, scanning the roads ahead. The houses were unremarkable, the streets seemingly deserted, but his instincts screamed danger.

"Hold position," Kessler ordered, his voice dropping to a growl. "Einar, take your squad and scout that alley on the left. Eiswulf, cover them. I don't like the look of this place.

Einar's squad moved cautiously, their weapons drawn, as they disappeared into the narrow alley. It didn't take long before an explosion rocked the alley. "Ambush!" Einar reported.