Chapter 139: Pieces in Place

Author's Note (Story and Patreon Updates):
I will be uploading 1 extra chapter for every $100 donated! Contributions will be calculated by the end of the month and the extra chapters will be applied to the next month.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

SPECIAL DEAL: I will upload 1 extra chapter for a successful referral using this webull code. You must open an account and deposit at least $1 for it to be successful. If you wish to join my investing community, it is linked through my discord server. The webull link will also be available through my discord under #other-announcements.

Webull: https://a.webull.com/Wz1i6zkc37slwnl9dF

Author Resources:
For more comprehensive and current updates, please join my discord server.
Discord: https://discord.gg/ymbTbNw
Want to get to know the author? Follow my Instagram!
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sebbyclee/

——

December 8, 1640
White House Situation Room
Washington, D.C.

President Lee sat at the head of the table in the White House Situation Room, fingers tapping on wood. The room was dimly lit, with the soft glow of various monitors casting shadows on the faces of the high-ranking officials seated around him. His eyes scanned the room, noting the concerned expressions worn by Director of National Intelligence Allen Fitch, CIA Director Thomas Klein, Secretary of Defense Robert Hill, Secretary of State Gordon Heiden, and the other key personnel who had assembled for this emergency meeting.

"Mr. President," Fitch began, his tone grave, "we have received new intelligence regarding the War Hawks and their plans within the Gra Valkas Empire. As you know, we've been closely monitoring the situation, and I'm afraid that things are escalating much faster than we had anticipated."

Fitch's words hung heavy in the air as the President's brow furrowed in concern. "What are the specifics, Director Fitch? How advanced are their plans?"
"It seems that the coup is already in motion, sir," Klein chimed in. "Our agents on the ground have discovered that the War Hawks have been meeting with various military officials and members of the Gra Valkan nobility. They've secured a significant number of allies, and we believe they're on the verge of executing their plan. We may have a very limited window of time to act."

Lee's jaw tightened, and he leaned forward in his chair. "Do we have any estimates on when the coup might take place?"

Fitch shook his head. "Unfortunately, our intel is not specific enough to give us an exact date. However, we know that the War Hawks have been extremely active in the past few days, and the rapid pace of their activities suggests that they might strike within the next 24 to 48 hours."

The room fell silent as the weight of the news settled on everyone present. President Lee rubbed his temples, trying to process the information. He knew that if the coup were successful, the aggressive War Hawks would gain control of the Gra Valkas Empire, escalating the war and potentially forcing the United States to intervene.

"Director Klein," Lee said, looking up from his hands, "what options do we have to counter this coup? What can we do to support the Doves and prevent the Hawks from seizing power?"

Klein leaned back in his chair, his face solemn. "Our options are limited, Mr. President. As I mentioned in our previous meeting, we have been working on a plan to expose the Hawks' operations before they can carry out a successful coup. However, given the rapid pace of their activities, it might be too late for our plans to work. They're moving faster than we expected, and our efforts to gather evidence and weaken their position have been slow."

Lee sighed, feeling the pressure of the situation. "We can't just sit back and do nothing. If the War Hawks succeed in taking control, the consequences for the region—and for us—could be disastrous. We must explore all possible avenues to counter their plans and maintain stability in the area."