Chapter 102: Doubt

Skeen's Bar, Cartalpas

Famous for its patronage, which consisted of high-ranking executives, policymakers, and renowned journalists, Skeen's bar was a hotbed for discussion about the latest World Leadership Conference. Most notably, two Mirishial regulars had taken the stage. Astounded by the fleet entrances the day before, their discussion about battleships devolved into a rather heated debate.

A drunken dwarf pointed his mug at his opponent, a sober elf, and spat, "It's obvious the Grade Atlastar is the superior vessel! You elves see too much sophistication in everything. Well, I say that the evidence is simple, and no further digging is necessary!"

"Tsk!" The elf responded with a tinge of annoyance. His patience was beginning to wear thin, especially as the debate entered its 20th minute. "Of course a rockhead is incapable of seeing the intricacies of naval combat. Naval combat is not all just about 'big guns'", the elf said, mocking the dwarf.

As the debate dragged on, the other patrons began to coalesce into two factions: one in support of the elf, and one in support of the dwarf.

"And yet, it is a mainstay in all the fleets of the world! One on one, the Grade Atlastar completely outclasses the Missouri!"

The elf scoffed, "And what makes you think such an engagement would even occur in the first place? Neither side would allow single ships to face off against each other; it would be a fleet-wide battle!"

"Then," the dwarf retorted, "What if all the escorts and other ships are taken out? In the history of naval battles, there have been numerous instances in which only the most heavily armored ships remained."

The elf's face contorted in surprise; the man was shocked that someone could present such a ridiculous initial condition. "That's impossible! Look at the range of the American homing light arrows, and compare them to the range of the Gra Valkan guns. In the first place, any Gra Valkan ship — no matter the thickness of their armor — would be obliterated before they can even see their opponent!" Cementing his point, he wagged his finger at the dwarf, "The Missouri would just attack the Grade Atlastar from over the horizon, and not even have to use its main guns!"

The dwarf staggered from his seat, hopping to the ground. Just as the debate was about to escalate further, a third man stepped in. "Gentlemen, gentlemen," a human walked up, hands in the air. "Come on, now. We're all Mirishials, here. It should be obvious to all of us which side has the best battleship."

His statement was met with silent gazes from the two factions.

The human continued, "It's us, of course! Now, our Gold and Mithril classes don't really stack up against these two champions, but the new Orichalcum sure does." He pointed at the screen mounted on the wall above. "Bartender, please turn up the volume."

The man complied and the entire bar settled down as they watched a new report from the Mirishial News Network.

An female elf dressed in an elegant red dress – MNN's top reporter, Alana Forlen – stood by the beach as she reported on the majestic Mirishial fleet sailing in the background,"... Fleet Zero has finally completed their training exercises and is now anchored off the coast of Cartalpas as they prepare a special event! Let's talk to one of the Navy's representatives."

Alana entered into an interview with a man in Mirishial dress uniform, which was a regal mixture of golden robes and white dress clothes. Identifying himself as Rear Admiral Manige, he described the demonstration that was about to occur, "The Holy Mirishial Navy is proud to welcome our newest class of battleships, the Orichalcum-class, into active service! As the name suggests, this class is derived from the Ancient Sorcerous Empire's own ships, although ours have been made superior thanks to recent advancements in both the fields of magic and science. Today's demonstration is of its weapons systems, which have been fully restored from excavated Sorcerous artifacts and schematics."