Chapter 169: Durnsbury (2)

Author's Note (Story and Patreon Updates):
Check out my latest project: Manifest Fantasy!
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/75057/manifest-fantasy
Note 2:
Chapter 170 is now out for all Tier 2 Patrons and higher! Tier 2 Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd
– –

January 15, 1641
Durnsbury, Mu

Captain Vin Kessler stood at the edge of Durnsbury, watching the first light of dawn cast shadows over the city's ruins. The air was tainted with the smell of explosives; the overnight bombing had reshaped the city into a wasteland. He felt a grim satisfaction at the sight – the might of the Gra Valkas Empire was undeniable.

Around him, Ulfar Company stood ready. They had been on edge for an hour now, anticipating the order to move out. Now, as the moment approached, a sense of purpose replaced their restlessness.

Kessler's eyes narrowed as he scanned the horizon. "Wulfhart," he called out to his corporal, "What's the madar showing?"

Wulfhart looked up. "It's cluttered, sir. The magic in the air is messing with the readings. Hard to get anything clear."

Kessler grunted in acknowledgment. This was the challenge of fighting in a city thick with magic – nothing was straightforward. Unlike Orisun and its few stragglers, Durnsbury's mages could pop up anywhere. "Keep an eye on it. Alert me to any changes."

He turned to the rest of his men. The coming fight was sure to be much more brutal than their engagement in Orisun. He glanced at each one of their faces, branding them into his memory so he wouldn't forget the fallen. He became lost in thought as he waited for the order when his radio technician approached, field radio in hand. "Captain, message coming through from Colonel Raditz," he said, offering the radio to Kessler.

Kessler took the receiver, pressing it to his ear, listening intently to the crackling voice on the other end. The order was clear and direct, "Ulfar Company is to move in. Your objective: secure the railroad in the central district – Marrowfield. Time is of the essence."

Kessler handed back the radio. He faced his men, who awaited his command. "Listen up. We're moving in. Our target is the railroad in Marrowfield. We need to secure it fast." He paced in front of his troops. "The Muans will be disoriented from the bombings, but they're not out. They're a cornered animal, equipped with magic and American weapons, and that makes them dangerous. Expect heavy urban resistance, traps, anything. We need to stay sharp."

"Einar, get the scouts out," Kessler instructed his lieutenant. "I want a clear picture of what we're walking into."

"Yes, sir," the man responded, immediately setting off to carry out the orders.

Kessler took a deep breath. Marrowfield was key to controlling Durnsbury, and it was up to Ulfar Company to make the first move. He looked once more at the ruins ahead and the buzzing planes that flew overhead. "Let's move out," he said, stepping forward into the dawn of battle.

Thick smoke wafted into the air as they began their advance. Kessler climbed into Ulfar Company's Kommandowagon Panthera nodding to the crew as he settled in. The interior, though cramped, was efficiently laid out with the necessary tools for command and control. A large map was secured on a fold-down table, marked with various positions and notes. The bulky radio equipment – the heart of the Panthera – crackled with the voices of other unit commanders and scouts reporting in.

Kessler peered through the periscope, a simple yet effective tool providing him with a limited view of the surroundings. He adjusted the dials, tuning into different frequencies, listening to the reports coming in.