Chapter 149: The Home of the Brave

Last time on Summoning America:
The Parpaldian War, which occurred a year ago, was a conflict between the United States against the Parpaldian Empire. Complete and overwhelming US victories on the battlefield led Kaios to orchestrate a peaceful coup (supported by the CIA) against Emperor Ludius in order to prevent the Parpaldian Empire from completely collapsing under mounting US victories. His coup was successful and Kaios signed for peace with the US, resulting in Ludius's position being relegated to ceremonial only and the reformation of the Parpaldian Empire into the Parpaldian Republic, led by President Kaios.

——

December 25, 1640
Miami, Florida

Stepping onto the Miami International Airport tarmac, the Cryseilians found themselves immersed in a wave of new sensory experiences. The Florida winter was a slightly humid, lukewarm embrace, rich with the salty tang of the ocean and the blooms' perfume that flourished in the subtropical climate. The ambient hum of the bustling airport – a place teeming with activity and urgency – held a foreign, yet fascinating cadence compared to the tranquil silence above Cryseilian cities.

Around them, jumbo jets – large but not quite comparable in size to their elegant Cryseilian airships – dotted the airport, humming with the power of Earthly engineering. Princess Neith watched with a thoughtful gaze, an unspoken acknowledgment of the potential that these machines, and by extension, their creators held.

The Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) had arranged a fleet of imposing, black SUVs for their escort. While vehicles were a common sight in Cryseilies, the rumble of combustion engines was a novel experience for the delegation accustomed to the gentle hum of arcane-powered transport. Even Divine Knight Miro, a traditionalist at heart, felt the walls of his prejudice crumble in the face of familiar technologies replicated by mechanical forces.

The convoy smoothly exited the confines of the airport, navigating toward the freeway as they journeyed past Miami's streets. As seen from the sky, the highway was enormous; it facilitated traffic at far greater scales than the streets back in Cryseilies. The sheer number of vehicles was an obvious testament to the city's population density and industrialized nature and caught the attention of the two scholars, Ilsa and Sorin.

Due to traffic congestion on the freeway, the convoy detoured through the upscale district of Brickell. The Cryseilians caught a glimpse of Miami Beach, its iconic white sands dotted with sunbathers under a canopy of colorful beach umbrellas. Palm trees dotted the streets – putting the Cryseilians in awe of this exotic, never-before-seen flora. In the distance, opulent yachts shared the waves with a diverse array of vessels.

Finally, the convoy reached their destination: a hotel overlooking the beach, identified as the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Key Biscayne by a driver. Its grandeur was a symbol of luxury, and its location provided the necessary security for such a prestigious delegation. As the Cryseilians disembarked onto the palm-fringed driveway, an air of anticipation hung about them. They were now at the epicenter of Miami, ready to explore all these Americans had to offer.

––

After a restful night to recover from their journey, the Cryseilians awoke to a sunny Friday morning on December 23rd, ready to explore Miami Beach. They journeyed down from their rooms, linking up with their guides from the State Department in the lobby. Despite it being an entirely different environment, the soft hum of activity in the hotel brought a sense of familiarity.

They began their excursion with a walk along the South Beach. The sight of the azure sea lapping gently at the sun-drenched sands was familiar, yet captivating. Yet, more mesmerizing was the vibrant mix of Americans and Elysians lounging under the Miami sun. Elves with their slender forms and pointed ears, as well as beastmen boasting diverse arrays of animalistic traits, casually mingled with humans. This sight was a great shock to the Cryseilians, previously known to them only through mythology and lore from their ancestors who had fled the Central World to escape Nosgorath's rampage.