Chapter 144: Hunter Killer (2)

Author's Note (Story and Patreon Updates):

Chapter 145 is now out for all Tier 2 Patrons and higher! Tier 2 Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!

I will upload one extra chapter per month if we hit a $150/month donation milestone. Donations from people who want to read ahead WILL contribute to this, and patrons will still be able to read ahead.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

SPECIAL DEAL: I will upload 1 extra chapter for a successful referral using this webull code. You must open an account and deposit at least $1 for it to be successful. Message me on discord to confirm that you've completed the referral. If you wish to join my investing community, it is linked through my discord server. The webull link will also be available through my discord under #other-announcements.

Webull: https://a.webull.com/1idi6zkc37slwnlTom

Author Resources:
For more comprehensive and current updates, please join my discord server.
Discord: https://discord.gg/ymbTbNw
Want to get to know the author? Follow my Instagram!
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sebbyclee/

——

Ragna, Gra Valkas Empire

As the staccato of gunfire ceased and the dust of the ensuing chaos began to settle, Gra Lux realized that unexpected aid had arrived. Despite the odds stacked against them by the Marix's considerable power, his allies had somehow managed to mount a daring rescue.

As the last embers of battle subsided, the personnel carrier's back door was ripped open. Bathed in swirling dust particles and backlit by the harsh glow of nearby flames, stood an alien figure encased in futuristic armor. The sight of an American soldier amidst the wreckage was as startling as the rescue itself.

"Overwatch, Ghost Actual," the American's voice cut through the lingering echoes of the skirmish, "Extraction protocol initiated. All HVTs secured. We're Oscar Mike."

The man — Ghost Actual, as he'd identified himself — turned towards Gra Lux, his tone pragmatic and straightforward, "Mister Emperor, we're getting you out of here. Stick close and stay between us."

For a brief moment, Gra Lux could only stare, struggling to comprehend the turn of events. Finally, with a faint nod of understanding, his rigid stance relaxed somewhat. "Why?" His voice was steady, a stark contrast to the chaos around them, "Why are you doing this?"

Ghost Actual chose his words carefully. One wrong phrase could stoke tension in the already volatile situation. "We have our orders, Mister Emperor. For now, those orders entail ensuring the safety of you and your family."

Seeing no further reason to question the situation, Gra Lux accepted this answer. He would take any opportunity to keep his family safe and maintain a flicker of hope for the Gra Valkas Empire. "Very well," he acquiesced, "Lead the way."

––

As the Ghosts mobilized for departure, Riley cast a fleeting glance at the smoldering ruin left behind. Their assault was likely to stay under the radar from the high echelons of Gra Valkan command, thanks to the strategic strikes that had sent their communication hubs into disarray. Yet, he was all too aware of the impending arrival of local Gra Valkan forces, lured by the explosive spectacle of the ambush.

Catching fragments of local radio chatter, he listened to Gra Valkan officers desperately attempting to piece together a coherent picture from the jumbled reports. As the confusion grew, so did Riley's satisfaction; the disorder created the perfect smokescreen for their operation.