Chapter 147: Silkark (2)

Author's Note (Story and Patreon Updates):

Chapter 148 is now out for all Tier 2 Patrons and higher! Tier 2 Patrons and higher will be able to read one chapter ahead!

I will upload one extra chapter per month if we hit a $150/month donation milestone. Donations from people who want to read ahead WILL contribute to this, and patrons will still be able to read ahead. — This milestone has been reached and a double upload is scheduled for August 22.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

——

Southern Atlantic Ocean
The Kingdom of Silkark

"On behalf of the United States of America, welcome to Silkark, Commander Jaelmark," the American representative said. "I'm Protocol Officer Eliza Davis, and I'll be handling your trip to the embassy." She reached out to shake hands with the Cryseilian leader. "Please follow me; we have a vehicle for you."

Commander Jaelmark followed her lead. As they walked toward a sleek black car, his eyes flickered around the area, drinking in the sights of the civilization around them. Their landing zone stood in stark contrast to its surroundings – an island of concrete and technology amidst a sea of wood and peasantry. On the ground, the towers in the ocean looked even more massive, painting a surreal blend of mechanical constructs and historical villages.

As Jaelmark entered the vehicle, he noticed the furnished interior: leather seats, ambient music coming from within the car itself, and the cool breeze of air conditioning. While the vehicle itself was nothing special, he was surprised to see facets of Cryseilian technology overseas, emulated without the use of the Arcane. The expressions on his countrymen's faces were akin to his own, each describing their shock in silence.

The ride to the embassy was comfortable and scenic, each passing moment building upon the mixed excitement and tension of this mission. Though the views of Silkarkian residences were rather mundane, each American structure told a unique story, with some indecipherable even to Ailenna. Most were warehouses that complemented the expansive ports along the coasts. It didn't take a genius to realize that these were for commercial shipping, and that implied stores of natural wealth hiding under Silkark.

A shame the Americans got to it first, Jaelmark lamented.

Upon arrival at the American Embassy, Officer Davis guided them towards a pair of towering wooden doors sitting behind a classical colonnade. As the doors swung open, they were met by a tall man with sharp features, clad in a tailored suit; and a distinguished Silkarkian gentleman in an anachronistic, yet stylish outfit of furs and jewelry.

The suited man stepped forward. "Welcome to our embassy, I am Ambassador Samuel Anders, representing the United States of America", he began, his voice steady and a smile on his face. He gestured to the man on his left.

"And I am Minister Karq, representing the Kingdom of Silkark," the other man spoke.

Jaelmark and the rest of the Cryseilian delegation introduced themselves in kind, shaking hands with their hosts.

"Once again, we're honored by your presence," Anders said, stepping aside to welcome the Cryseilians further into the embassy. "We'll be introducing ourselves first and once we're done with our discussions, you'll meet with Minister Karq again. This way, please," he gestured down a wide hallway adorned with polished wooden panels and tastefully displayed decorations.

As they walked, the Cryseilians cast curious glances at the displays, their minds drawing comparisons and contrasts with domestic pieces. The displays along the hallway ranged from paintings of figures and wars long past to posters of sprawling cities and vehicles. One such poster portrayed what the Cryseilians could only surmise to be a ship, situated at the forefront of a background of twinkling stars amidst a black canvas. Only Jaelmark and Ailenna recognized this setting; it was one of the heavens – the same heavens that their greatest airships failed to reach.