Vol. 0 ch1

At the edge of Vale a migration of people are moving away from their last camp, pulling carts of gear, weaponry, people and supplies with watchmen surviving the area. This is a group of traveling mercenary's that assest in protection and service for the right price. They provide extermination for invading grimm in small villages that can't support themselves or don't have huntsmen as well as being a private army.

The leader of said group is Gambino, a skilled ex-huntsman from mistral who was taking side jobs and not doing assigned missions. He had his license revoked when he did a job for a criminal warlord as an extra muscle and part timer. After that he started to gather followers from soldier to huntsman, in his time as a huntsman he saw that there were not a lot of huntsmen in the minor towns and villages and saw how desperate they were. So he decided to have his group move around remnant do a job for a hefty price. They had a job at Anima however it did not go through because the leader of the village did not like the price and was upset that they allowed a child among their ranks,  in effect they abandon the job

    Gambino was irritated that the job did not pan out so well and was in need of money. However, he was more irritated that it was something so small as a child to ruin everything, looking back at the five-year-old who was walking alongside the group, looking around acting as if he was part of the watch, he has short spiky black hair with some bangs, pointy ear and most distinct feature are his obsidian eyes.

Five years ago, they went to a settlement for a job only to find it destroyed by Grimm, he ordered his men to search for valuables. During the search his lover Shizu heard a faint cry she went towards it to a burnt house to find a burned corpse cradling  an infant. She immediately responds by taking in the child, Gambino voiced his displeasure at the child stating that it was cursed, and no way Grimm could've missed the infant, however she did not pay any mind to this. Years later she died, now he is stuck with the little bastard and seems to look to him as a father. As soon as he started to walk, Gambino made him a weapon handler, his job is to provide ammo and dust during a fight as well as retrieving weapons his hope is that he dies in battle by grimm mauling or enemy fire.

As for raising he cares little for that and leaves it to the rest, the group does watch over him but the only one that actively watches over him is Martino an ex soldier who is the oldest out of the whole group. Best way to describe their relationship is as friends or at least the child does. They finally make it to their destination in Patch, a large opening in the forest with hill formation and an abandoned house in the middle. After settling their camp and having the house to his own, Gambino decided to train with the boy, it's the only time he showed interest in him, however it was more for him to vent out his frustration. As they train the boy tries to swing only for the blade to fall short and whenever he makes a "full" swing Gambino just blocks or parries. The training session tends to draw everyone looking at amusement with the boy swinging a broad sword.

"Haha hey Guts why don't you use a smaller sword, huh" a mercenary mocked as he watched Guts swing fall short.

"That's because we don't use any baby sized sword around here" Gambino said, while giving guts a swift knee to his abdomen, forcing Guts to fall all fours recoiling from the hit.

"Come on get up!" Guts slowly get only for Gambino to trip him from behind.

"Oi maybe it's best if he catches his breath" one merc said, wincing at the beating looking Guts struggling to get up, however with that he had enough

"NO!" he shouted, scurrying to get up and readies himself

Guts goes in for a vertical slash with a parry from Gambino. He came to another slash only to have him be sidestep, he was breathing hard he glanced at his surroundings, his eye meeting Martino who gave him a nod. This prompted Guts to grip his sword, twist his whole body and hoist his sword over his shoulder and knock Gambino's sword away from him and goes for a tap on his knee, he pauses at the moment now full of glee.