VOL0 CH10

"Good to be back," A fourteen year old Guts said as he stared at the building in front of him.

"Yep. One more year and I get an aura." Yang said in excitement. Both were once again standing side by side as they gazed at the academy. Over the course of the year, both had grown taller. If you measured carefully, you would see that Yang was actually slightly taller than Guts, something the blonde huntress-to-be mentioned very frequently. Of course, Guts still dominated her in terms of physicality. It wasn't even a contest really. Both walked into the building and made their way to their first class, which happened to be weapon mechanics with Qrow. While they wouldn't be making their weapons until next year, it helped to have a good understanding of mechanics beforehand.

"Alright, I'm gonna preface this by saying that you should treat your weapon with respect. It's what you're going to rely on when you're out fighting Grimm. I should also tell you that the more weapon forms a weapon has, the more complicated it is to build. Unless you're a mechanical genius, I suggest sticking to one or two forms." Qrow said. Guts already knew that his would be simple. To him, simple was better. Who needs three or four weapon forms when you have one reliable form that gets the job done? Qrow passed out textbooks to the class.

"Don't lose these. They're the only ones you'll get for the whole year." Qrow said as he brought up pictures of various mechanisms on the board. Guts and Yang paid full attention. Partly because this is the kind of stuff they were interested in, but mostly because they wouldn't dare goof off with Qrow as their teacher, Guts especially.

Guts walked into a class he didn't have with Yang. Because of his status as a prodigy, Guts was taking more advanced classes this year, which meant he wasn't spending as much time with Yang. This was a combat class for advanced fifth year students. The administration wouldn't put Guts in a higher class. As he took his seat, Guts could hear some students whispering about him. He had developed quite a reputation the previous year.

"Ah, I see that I have the school's resident prodigy in my class," the Professor good naturedly said. "I should warn you, compared to the fodder you fought last year, these students are just as advanced as you. Expect to be challenged." The Professor said, Guts' response was a simple nod. The teacher chuckled and turned to address the rest of the class.

"My name is Professor Bowie. This is a combat class. There isn't much more to say." Bowie said, garnering a few laughs from the students. "You are all considered advanced by the academy, as such I expect high performance from all of you. I'm sure you are all familiar with the way we find out who is better than who?" The teacher asked. The whole class nodded. They were aware of the classroom wide tournaments that were held in combat class. Guts had dominated his last year. "Well, at the end of the year we will be holding a school-wide tournament with the other advanced classes. Only the top four from this class will be able to participate." Bowie paused as he let his students digest what he had just said. "Don't worry if you don't make the top four this time around. We'll be doing our class tournament every month or so, so you can always become top four then. Those who maintain their top four position the longest get to participate." Bowie finished. Wonder who I'll be fighting at the end of the year. Guts thought, already sure of his participation.

The first half of the class was spent watching other students fight. Being an advanced class, these students were much better than the ones Guts fought last year. He gazed at the board and smiled when he saw that it was his turn. He made his way to the arena, where he was greeted by his opponent. Right away, Guts could tell that this girl was some sort of cat faunus. He also saw that she was a couple inches taller than him, but Guts was used to that. Her hair was a dark brown in color and she had a tanned skin tone. She was wearing a light brown shirt with loose sleeves that went down past her hands. On her legs she had tight athletic shorts along with loose sandals.